Sign in with
Your question

Booting off SSD

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2009 3:15:33 AM

I just wanted to know if you can boot directly off an SSD on a new system?
My SSD is an OCZ 60GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I'll be running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I just wanted to know I can install the OS directly onto the SSD at the start.

More about : booting ssd

November 23, 2009 3:40:37 AM

Yes, you can install the OS on the SSD.

That is highly recommended. You should install the OS and your most frequently used programs on the SSD. Use the HD for your data files and media files.

You can get a nice speed boost when running programs on the SSD. Since the OS is your most important program you should definitely have it installed on the SSD or else you will not be getting the speed boost.
November 23, 2009 3:46:32 AM

My major concern was for the health of the SSD, I know that you have to change some settings in Windows so it doesn't treat it like a normal HDD, and defrag it or something. I was just wondering if anything like that might damage the SSD during the initial boot, before I can change these settings.
Related resources
November 23, 2009 9:07:06 PM

I have a 128GB Patriot SSD as my boot drive for Win 7. I haven't changed any settings in Windows (though I'm going to look into that now) but it's been running like a bat out of hell for over three weeks. I also installed the main game that I'm playing, not just Win and Office. Have fun with it.
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2009 2:09:34 AM

DCFGS3 said:
My major concern was for the health of the SSD, I know that you have to change some settings in Windows so it doesn't treat it like a normal HDD, and defrag it or something. I was just wondering if anything like that might damage the SSD during the initial boot, before I can change these settings.

If you have windows 7 it recognizes a SSD and treats it accordingly.

Otherwise, the only thing you should not do is run defrag; disable it. Defrag accomplishes nothing on a SSD
!