Sign in with
Your question

Best bootloader?

Last response: in Storage
October 20, 2011 4:53:31 PM

So, it seems I will need to dualboot Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x86 for certain reasons. What I plan to do, is install XP on a separate HDD, and dualboot between 2 sata HDDs. I had used grub with linux installs, and I had installed GRUB4DOS on my flash drive, but is there a easier way to dualboot 2 OS's especially when it comes to booting to one HDD and the other? This will also help with rootkit detection/deletion on a nonbootable OS.

I see some bootloaders around. What is your favorite bootloader?

More about : bootloader

a c 379 G Storage
October 20, 2011 7:45:48 PM

You can dual boot windows OS's simply by installing the oldest OS first. If you want to avoid the hassle of trying to remove an OS later, just leave all drives disconnected except for the one you are installing the OS onto. Then use your bios's start menu (F12 on gigabyte boards) to selct your boot drive.
m
l
October 21, 2011 8:01:25 PM

I am going to give Acronis OS Selector a shot. I like grub, but it's time consuming to set up. I have to figure out which HDD is which.

I know the only way you can dualboot with 7 installed is to install XP on a separate HDD (with all other HDDs disconnected) then install a bootloader on either MBR.
m
l
!