Sign in with
Your question

New computer build, need feedback/help choosing a psu and video card

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2009 9:35:05 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Nov 23-Whenever

BUDGET RANGE: Just need the rest of the parts, I don't know how much exactly I need lets say $300-400?

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, photoshop, internet browsing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, cpu, mobo, ram, case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: usa, southern california

PARTS PREFERENCES: I just recently bought this mobo+CPU combo with 4GB of Gskill DDR3 1600 ram, and I need help deciding which psu and video card to get. For the psu either antec or corsair or whatever you guys think is best. For the video card I was thinking a 5750 or anything worth its price (eg: a 5770 for $20 more).

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, if i have the need to do it. Probably won't.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future if I need to

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 19 inch (I plan to upgrade when I get more money)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I plan to get the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB when its back in stock so for now i will be using an old IDE hdd.
I also purchased the antec 300 illusion so I dont need a case.
I need help deciding which 5750 video card to get. Was thinking about going with an XFX Radeon HD 5750 since it has free shipping and a lifetime warranty. What do you guys think?
For the PSU, i just need help deciding how many watts I'm going to need (depending on how much my video card is going to require) and which brand to go with, also with a good price tag.

Is this PSU any good for my build? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 1:11:10 PM

Agree about the VX550. 40 amp 12 volt rail will even power a single 5870.
m
l
Related resources
a c 263 U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 1:26:36 PM

For gaming, buy the strongest single graphics card you feel comfortable paying for. It is the primary factor in gaming performance. Today, the new ati 5xxx series give good value, and you mostly get what you are paying for. XFX seems to me to be the vendor of choice. They are US based, and give a lifetime warranty, not only to you, but to the next buyer which makes it easy to upgrade later. The 5850 and 5870 are currently hard to find, so perhaps the 5770 might be best.

Good psu's come from Corsair. Antec, Seasonic, and PC P&C to name a few. A quality psu with 500w and two 6-pin pcie connectors will power any of the cards from 5870 on down. The Antec 550 will do fine. The corsair vx550 mentioned earlier would also be fine.
m
l
November 23, 2009 5:27:29 PM

Thanks you guys for your replies, I really appreciate everyones help.

I think I can wait on the graphics card since I have integrated graphics on my mobo and don't plan to play any real games until I buy a real graphics card. Will probably go with an 5770. And do you guys think its worth it if I wait till black friday to buy the corsair PSU? Does anyone know if the price will even go down?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2009 3:24:52 AM

Ah well thats not a long wait so....
m
l
!