Mobo supporting DDR2&DDR3

rockyjohn

Distinguished

A number of high quality AM2+ boards can still be had, but if you mean both types on the same board, no, nothing comes to mind. And said AM2+ board will use all current AMD cpu's.

redwing3139

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
no no I am just looking to upgrade to ATX mobo (from micro) and dont wanna have to buy the newer (more expensive) Ram but down the road I will be able to afford so I was trying to "future-proof" my comp

Thanks for your help

randomkid

Distinguished

Do you mean you want a new mobo and new RAMs but you want DDR2 because DDR3 are more expensive now?

redwing3139

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I am looking to get a new mobo but I wanna be able to contiue to use the DDR2 ram I currently have and not have to buy DDR3 right now, BUT i would like to find a mobo that supported both types of ram that way when I have the cash I can upgrade the ram.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
For the best system, I think you should wait and get a better board than the ones I listed above, even if it means waiting until you can afford DDR3 memory. Then you can get a good AM3 DDR3 mobo which will give you the best futureproofing and also be a good all around board.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
1066 memory is actual not too bad, even if DDR2, depending on the timings. What are the timings? Do you plan to OC? Is your memory 2 x 2GB?

Do you require a micro-ATX mobo? Note that for both of the micro-ATX boards in the list I provided of JetWay boards supporting both DDR2 and DDR3, the maximum DDR3 memory is 1066; in the ATX board it is only 1333 - so neither leaves much room for getting faster memory. And if the timings are slower than what you have, the DDR3 memory might be slower.

randomkid

Distinguished

It is solid. Better stick to it for now and save up for an AM3 motherboard + DDR3 RAM.
We don't know what is the complications in a hybrid RAM system and you may be in for trouble if you go that route.
And honestly, I do not see how you will need more than 4GB of RAM but I you feel you need more now, why don't you spend the money on additional 4 GB of RAM and you will have 8GB of RAM in a solid board instead of spending it on a hybrid RAM motherboard.