Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can 2 Ati or Nvidia GPU b used with sli/crossfire motherboard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2009 8:20:55 AM

Hey is it possible to use 2 Ati GPU's on SLI motherboard or 2 Nvidia GPU's on Crossfire x motherboard?
If not , why we can't do so? Should i buy a Nvidia GPU's for sli enabled motherboard and for crossfire x only Ati GPU's.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2009 9:16:11 AM

Hello :) 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-f...

"Can you use SLI on a CrossFire board or can you use CrossFire on a SLI board ?
Well , in general , the answer is NO. But it's said that if you hack the drivers , you can use SLI on a CrossFire board or CrossFire on a SLI board.
Caution:There is no guarantee that if you hack the drivers then you use SLI on a CrossFire Motherboard or CrossFire on a SLI board, so do it at your own risk!

However,with the release of i7/i5,Intel announced twe new chipsets which are X58 and P55 that allow users to use CrossFire and SLI on the same motherbard.(However X58/P55 boards support only CrossFire,some only support SLI and some support both,so if you wanted to buy a new motherboard,make sure you check this first."
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
a c 168 Î Nvidia
November 27, 2009 9:16:11 AM

AKASH NAIN said:
Hey is it possible to use 2 Ati GPU's on SLI motherboard

Yes, but not in Crossfire.
AKASH NAIN said:
or 2 Nvidia GPU's on Crossfire x motherboard?

Again yes but not in SLi.
AKASH NAIN said:
If not , why we can't do so? Should i buy a Nvidia GPU's for sli enabled motherboard and for crossfire x only Ati GPU's.

If you want the choice then get a P55 or X58 based setup.
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2009 10:12:00 AM

The only motherboards that have chipsets capable of SLI and Crossfire both are Intel P55 and X58 chipsets, to date anyway.
Why? Because previous to the release of these 2 chipsets, nVidia would not grant a license to anyone else allowing them to use their SLI technology (dumbasses).
If you wanted SLI you had to to buy a board with an nVidia based chipset. But unfortunately, nVidia chipset based motherboards, well they are stupidly expensive, and simply inferior in almost every way to their AMD/Intel based counterparts.
ATI/AMD on the other hand did allow Crossfire on Intel chipsets, as well as their own AMD chipsets. So, in effect, they made Crossfore much more attractive. The rest is history. nVidia is quickly sinking, I myself at one time preferred nVidia over ATI cards, but my next GPU upgrade will definetly be ATI. nVidia finally realized the error of their ways and decided to allow SLI to run on another platform besides their own, but it may be too little too late for them unless they get their act together, and fast.
November 28, 2009 10:59:47 AM

Thanks bro.It will surely help me .Thanks a lot ..... :D 
November 28, 2009 11:03:15 AM

Thanks a lot for this much help. Thanks for replying me,it surely will b a great help to me.
!