Will this hard drive work with my pc?

dathip

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Okay I am confused. I have a compaq presario 061 sr2001nx. Now I upgraded my computer to a new motherboard which has 4 sata slots for 3 gb ports and 2 sata slots for 6 gb ports. Now my product specs of my pc are this for storage:

5.25" external

Two (One available)

3.5" external

Two (Two available)

3.5" internal

One (None available)

it says 3.5 internal one then( None available) what does this mean?

here is the hard drive i wanna get: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200RPM-Internal-ST31000528AS-Bare/dp/B00272NHOK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1319150790&sr=8-6

my pc specs if you wanna check again for storage is here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00768114&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3284971&task=prodinfoCategory

Thanks guys :hello:

External bays are bays that you have access to from the front of your pc. You just have to remove the front cover of the bay from your case to have access to the bay.

Internal bays are bays that you can only access by removing the side panel of the pc case.

Your pc case has 2 external 5.25" bays. You have only 1 available because 1 of the bays has your CD/DVD drive. So for example if you want to add a Blu-ray drive you have 1 available bay to do so.

Your pc case has 2 external 3.5" bays. You have 2 available since they are both empty.
You can use those 2 bays to add 2 extra drives.

Your pc case has 1 internal 3.5" bay. You have none available because your pc comes with 1 hard drive that’s in that bay.

The 5.25" is the front bay. One is taken up with the DVD drive, and one bay is available.

The 3.5" external is for stuff like card readers, fans speed controllers, etc - both bays are available.

The 3.5" internal is for hard drives - one is already taken up by the installed hard disk, and none is available for the installation of an additional hard disk.

In order to install an additional hard disk, you will have to mount it in the 3.5" front bay space.

Yes, the drive you picked will work. You also need a SATA cable to connect the drive. And after you connect the drive to an unused SATA port, you must activate that port in the BIOS.