G

Hi,

I am a long time reader, first time poster. :hello:
Basicly I want a new quiet but powerful multitasking machine. After doing some research (reading reviews and browsing through forums) I have chosen the parts at the bottom of this post for my new build, I would value your opinions before I order the parts. I prefer parts that are quiet, powerfull and have value in them.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week
BUDGET RANGE: EUR 500 – EUR 1000 (Not that important)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
1.)Multitasking (surfing the internet, watching movies, streaming dvb-c media, etc.),
2.)Excel VBA programming and other office apps.
3.)Some stock day-trading. (GPU has support for 3 screens.)
4.)Would be nice to be able to play newer games.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
Power Supply: Fortron Noisekiller FSP400-60PN (Will this be enaugh?)
Mouse: Logitec MX518
Keyboard: Logitech Ultra X Keyboard
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 225BW
Case: Antec P 160 (incl. Three 120mm fans)
Speakers: crappy Creative MF1525 speakers
A few storage Hds from old comp.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Mindfactory.de (will save about EUR 100 by ordering it from Germany compared with local Finnish retailers. Altough, I will ask for a special offer from a local online retailer, but I don't have my hopes up.

MY LOCATION: Helsinki, FINLAND
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1650 * 1050 (recommended by Windows 7)

CPU
Intel Core i5 750
The 750 should be a good multitasker even without the HT. The CPU has been praised in several reviews and it generates less heat than any of the i7 cores. The i7 860 would be great for multitasking but I think it would be an overkill, and I have read that HT will increase the heat generation.

COOLER
Noctua U12P Se1366 Recomended by Silent PC Review

MOBO
ASUS P7P55D P55 S1156 ATX
Please advise here, what would you recomend for me? The P7P55D seems to be a popular choise.

MEMORY
2x2048MB Kit G.Skill RipJaws PC3-12800 1600MHz CL7 Will I notice a difference between 4G to 6GB or 8GB?

GPU
Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 5750 512MB PCIe 2xDVI/HDMI/DP – LiteRetail Was thinking of going passive, but this should be very quiet, what do you think?

OS HD
Kingston SSDNow V 40GB Boot Drive SNV125-S2BD/40GB A cheap way to test SSD. This should have the same controller as Intels SSD's have.

DVB-C Card
Haven't found anything yet. I wonder if there is one that would work in Windows 7 without too much effort?

Thanks for helping me!
Stinky

G

Would you change anything from this list?

CPU - Intel Core i5 750
COOLER- Noctua U12P Se1366
MOBO - ASUS P7P55D P55
MEMORY - 2x2048MB Kit G.Skill RipJaws PC3-12800 1600MHz CL7
GPU - Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 5750 512MB PCIe 2xDVI/HDMI/DP
OS HD -Kingston SSDNow V 40GB Boot Drive SNV125-S2BD/40GG

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Also wanted to add, I think moving into the SSD drives is a good idea and the Kingston is a low priced way to get in. However, I am not sure that the V series has the Intel controllers - see this article:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/1/

Also I had read elsewhere that even some with the Intel controllers have some part disabled so they are not as fast as Intel's - although still faster than many.

To answer your question, no you will not see any difference by using more than 4 GB of memory. No reason to add more.

G

According to this SSD roundup the Kingston has the Intel controller.

Yes, I don't expect it to be as fast as the Intel's. But at that price it doesn't need to be, as long as it boots up fast I will be happy. :D

Ok, will settle for the 4GB. I can always buy more later if needed (and cheaper).

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I did not see any Corsairs listed on your website - but I could have missed them - no sprechen ze deutshe - hope I have not mangled that too badly. Corsairs are my first choice and the TX line is a good lower priced line.

The Antecs are almost as good and more reasonably priced. The Earthwatts series comes highly recommended because of quality construction and it was one of the earliest 80+ certified for efficiency. The 650w should be ample to allow you to later add a second graphics card and do some light overclocking. If you want to much overclocking and have Crossfire you might want to move up to the 750w version.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Hmm... curious about the conflict over which driver is installed.

This one also says the JMicron controller - but that Kingston says they fixed it:
http://www.techwarelabs.com/kingston-128gb-ssdnow-v-series/all/1/

G

I think that the Intel Controller is only on the 40GB drives.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Hmmm... This one says the Intel controller also on the 40 GB - and on page one it talks about old and new V series - like they made some significant changes without changing the seriies designation.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/3/

Also see the issue about Trim on the page linked above.