Need a mobo to fit my build :/

zore86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Hi everyone! :hello:

I have put together what I consider a fairly good computer, but I am struggling with the right motherboard to fit the parts (I know, you are supposed to do it the other way around...)

I currently have the following specs
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 (Solid full tower with tons of space and cooling)
Processor: i7-920 (L1366 as you all know)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD5850 (I felt this was the most price-worthy investment)

Now I need to get a hold of a motherboard that will do this build justice. While I do have a budget, I am trying to find a good deal and if I have to pay $50, so be it.

I am intending to overclock in the future so I first looked at ASUS Rampage II Gene.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131371&cm_re=asus_rampage_II_gene-_-13-131-371-_-Product

But here is where my lack of knowledge about mobos just glares. I see this is a micro-atx card. I am going for a full tower comp, is there any reason to aim for a m-atx card when I can put in a full sized one that should be cheaper anyway? Does anyone know of a mobod card that can support OC well and has xfire support. That and L1336 socket are really my only three requirements for a mobo card, I just want to invest in a good card so that it doesn't hold my computer back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I'm kinda shooting in the dar here :/

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

zore86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Thank you. I will definitely look into these cards.

Just curious though, is the Rampage II Gene card no longer considered a good card? Is it outdated or the like? I am terrible with motherboards so I am asking due to lack of knowledge :D