Opinions on ~$700 gaming rig with upgrade potential

G

Hi everybody! I've been reading a lot of your suggestions to others and I would love to get some input for this build. Thanks in advance for your help.

My main goal is to futureproof this build as much as possible. You will notice that I have not selected a GPU. I intend to use the onboard graphics for a while until I can get a nice Crossfire setup in 6 months or so. I know it's not optimal but considering I'm currently on an Athlon XP 3200 +, 2.2 GHz, 1GB RAM with a Geforce 7800 GS I expect to be thrilled with the improvement until I can get a nice graphics card or two :)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: between now and one month

BUDGET RANGE: ~$700 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming (currently: Source games, mostly), web development

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, DVD

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD cpu, leaning towards Gigabyte mobo based on reviews

OVERCLOCKING: probably

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire in the future, yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1440, but I don't feel the need to max it out

I'm currently looking at these items:

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

PSU:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

Mouse: I've had one of these for years but one of the buttons is broken. I know there are better gaming mice out there but this one has been with me so long it feels like an extension of my hand.
Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A - White - OEM

Case:
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

HD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX

G

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm checking that one out.

My plan is to use the onboard graphics for a while until I can get a nice GPU in about 6 months or so. Right now I'm mostly just playing TF2 and DOD:S.

I am, however, considering something like this until then:
ASUS EN9500GT/DI/1GD2/V2/A GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
It's going for $50 after mail in rebate.

Do you think it's worth getting a card like that if it's just temporary?

9500 is a bit weak. Try to at least get a Nvidia 9600/ATI 4670 or better an Nvidia 240/ATI 4770. One advantage of getting the Nvidia 240 would be converting it to a dedicated PhysX card once you get a stronger card (ATI or Nvidia) as your main graphics card.

nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Solid choices overall my friend :-D

AM3 Socket is the right choice for your build. If I might make a suggestion, drop your processor down to something less powerful for now. The Phenom II X2 550 (Callisto) is a great CPU with enough power for now ($102). Easy to overclock, and will be sufficient for gaming. You can take the money you save and drop it into a better GPU (one that you can crossfire or SLI later).

In a few years, you can get a newer AM3 chip when the prices are dirt cheap.