RocketRaid 2640x1 SAS Controller
2x 15,000K RPM 72GB SAS Drives (RAID 0)
Dell 3007 30" LCD Monitor
Windows 7 x64

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Intel CPU either i7-920 or i7-860
Motherboard - ROCK SOLID STABILITY. OC not so important.
Memory - 4GB or 6GB depends on CPU/MB Combo. Stability is paramount.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe but system stability is paramount.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not initially

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
2560x1600

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Antec Nine hundred Case
GPU: Uncertain, recomendations welcome. (Budget $200-$300)
PSU: Uncertain (Budget under $200)
DVD-DL Burner - Reliable & Compatable. Not Blu-Ray

Feel free to comment on anything you want related to this build.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about finalizing parts look
  1. Yes... This will give you the tools to OC to 4GHz+. The sweet spot for gaming is 3.6GHz, which is the best clock speed to performance increase to power/heat increase.
  2. I went through same debate not long ago (920 vs 860). Check out my post from yesterday titled, "Thanks for the advice - a new computer is born". It's a rather long read, but might help. Good luck.
  3. For $20 more you might consider upgrading to the Antec 902 case. It has an extra one-half inch depth, speed control on all fans, dust filters that are cleanable, and slightly better cable management. For me, these extras were worth the extra $20.

The i860 slightly outperforms the i920 for gaming, but for all intents and purposes these two processors are equals. See link below for details.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3641&p=7
    It is interesting to note that the i750 also bests the i920 in these gaming tests, making the i750 very attractive from a price versus performance perspective.
  4. With a 30" monitor at 2560x1600, you need extra graphics capability. Look at the 5870 if you can find one. It does not require a PSU stronger than 500w or so, which you can find for <$100. Certainly nothing less than a 5859 or GTX285

The i7-920 and 860 are comparable in performance and price. Even the i5-750 would be fine. But the P55 motherboards will be $100 cheaper, and you will probably opt for 6gb of ram which is $50 more. Still, for stability and overclocking, the X58 motherboards are probably better. They have been out longer, and the problems have been worked out. Don't spend more on an enthusiast board; at safe/modest overclocks, they all perform the same.
  5. Your moved here comment could have been a little clearer. You now have a number of comments in your double post.
  6. tecmo34 said:

Here is my most recent build... ($1,107.19 w/o GPU)

MB & CPU Combo: (I am selecting this board as it has onboard SAS controllers and I am unsure of the quality of the HighPoint 2640x1 that I have)
    Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor & ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution with NF200 3xPCIe true x16 LGA 1366 Intel X58

MEMORY: (Some concern here. This model is not on the QVL but the Gold version of this RAM is)
    OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail

CASE:
    Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HEATSINK/FAN:
    XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM

GPU: Radeon 5870 ~$400, If I can find one. Any reccomendations on which to get?

With video this build will cost right at $1,500.
  7. Very good build!!

I won't worry about the Platinum not being on the QVL... If the Gold is on there, the Platinum will work.

Good upgrade on the Antec 902. I'm a bigger fan of the 902, since I really don't like the look of the 900 and the 902 matches the look of the 1200. :D

Here is a list of the 5870's on Newegg (of course all out of stock!!)... Newegg's 5870 Listings. Ranked in Order of My Preference of Manufacturer: XFX, SAPPHIRE, HIS, DIAMOND AND POWERCOOLER
  8. What is the reason for the 5870's inventory shortage?
  9. They are a horribly popular card and can't me manufactured fast enough.
  10. why not change to a i5 build with a 5970 if the resolution is so high, that would give better gaming performance :)
  11. Derbixrace said:
    why not change to a i5 build with a 5970 if the resolution is so high, that would give better gaming performance :)

I plan to run this configuration for 3-4years so when GPU performance becomes dismal I will pop in more Video Horsepower. The i7-920 seems to be the better proc for multi GPU configs.
  12. Best answer
    I say you are good to go!!
  13. I agree. Nice build! Good luck. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Intel i7 Systems Product