ASUS P6X58D-E and Corsair DDR3 Dominator Dual Channel

bamelanc

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
I have the corsair dual channel memory installed in slots A1 and A2, if I install another corsair dual channel kit in to slots A3 and B1...will the motherboard then be in triple channel mode?

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Tri channel only works when u have populated A1, B1 and C1 or A2 B2 and C2 slots, in other configuration u only get dual channel.
2- The A3 slot doesn't exist, so, in that case u get a dual channel in the A1 A2 slots plus another dual channel in the B1 B2 slots, or the slots where u install the new kit.
3- Be sure that the RAM have the same specifications that ur current RAM or could it be a problem.

bamelanc

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
So Mr. Saint, you're saying that if I want triple channel capabilities, I have to install A) one more identical memory module in C1 or B) 2 more sets of identical dual channel memory to populate, C1, A2, B2 and C2? If I installed one more set of dual channel memory it would go in C1 and A2...that would still be dual channel...correct?

A) If u want the tri channel, u need install the RAM in A1, B1 and C1 slots, ur current configuration A1 A2 only can give u a dual channel even if u install another RAM stick, so, u need change the stick of the A2 slot to the B1 slot and install another one with the same specs that u current RAM in the C1 slot.

B) If u buy two more kits, all ur RAM slot will be populated and in that point u will have two tri-channel set running in ur rig, but BE SURE that are the same specs even if u can the same model that ur current RAM.

bamelanc

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Ok, I mispoke...I DO have my ram installed in A1 and B1...not A2. According to the manual, I can install one more dual set in c1 and a2 and run in tri mode. That would be nice, or would I be better served to get a 6 gig tri mode set?

^If u install another dual set in the configuration that u say u get a tri-channel with A1 B1 and C1 plus a single channel in A2.

Be sure that are the same specs even the same reference for sure the tri-channel, or u can re-sell the dual channel that u have and buy a tri-channel kit.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Technically, you can get triple channel with 4 modules. The 3 modules that are in the 3 slots required for 3 module/3 channel configurations will run in triple channel mode assuming your MOBO BIOS will cooperate. The 4th module will be mapped for single channel operation. It's all part of Intel's Flex Mode.

4 modules is not ideal. You ideally want 3 or 6 modules for triple channel.

bamelanc

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Does Corsair have a 3 dimm 12 gig dominator set? I don't want to go down in size, they don't make 3 dimm 8 gig sets that I'm aware of...and probably would get more "performance" out of a 6 gig triple channel than an 8 gig in dual channel. That being said, I want to move up in size, not down.