Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which of these Velociraptors is the best?

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 21, 2011 6:58:18 AM

I am interested in three drives. The first is the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX 450GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" for $199: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136557

The second is the Western Digital VelociRaptor WDBACN6000ANC-NRSN 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" for $279: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136803

The third is the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s for $289: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136555

Which is the fastest and best? It seems like they are more or less the same drive.

Please, help.

Thank you.

More about : velociraptors

a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 8:01:45 AM

No, not worth it.

Better get a 60GB SSD and a WD Green drive for storage.
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 8:09:42 AM

IMO, a VelociRaptor is not worth considering.

There are 7200RPM drives (Samsung F3, WD Caviar Black, Seagate XT) that have similar/better performance at less cost.

As mentioned, an SSD + Green HDD is better.

m
0
l
Related resources
October 21, 2011 11:45:39 AM

OCZ are considered one of the fastest SSDs in terms of read/write.

HOWEVER, they do have stability/reliability issues using SandForce controllers.

Intel/Samsung are pretty reliable but can't match the speed of OCZ drives.

The RevoDrive you have picked is fast but I don't think that model supports TRIM.

You will suffer performance issues given time and will probably have to reformat every 6 months or so.

The new X3 drives do support TRIM, are ULTRA fast but you pay through the nose.

From the list provided, I would choose the Crucial M4.
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 12:05:25 PM

hunuok said:
OCZ are considered one of the fastest SSDs in terms of read/write.

HOWEVER, they do have stability/reliability issues using SandForce controllers.

Intel/Samsung are pretty reliable but can't match the speed of OCZ drives.

The RevoDrive you have picked is fast but I don't think that model supports TRIM.

You will suffer performance issues given time and will probably have to reformat every 6 months or so.

The new X3 drives do support TRIM, are ULTRA fast but you pay through the nose.

From the list provided, I would choose the Crucial M4.


Would the Crucial M4 work in my Macbook Pro?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 12:11:38 PM

Ex Somnio said:
I am interested in three drives. The first is the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX 450GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" for $199: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136557

The second is the Western Digital VelociRaptor WDBACN6000ANC-NRSN 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" for $279: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136803

The third is the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s for $289: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136555

Which is the fastest and best? It seems like they are more or less the same drive.

Please, help.

Thank you.

How much space do u need? Any of them is great, but I agree with Pyree,
if u get an SSD, u are getting speed, everything is faster and no stuttering and storage by choosing WD green drive or the faster WD black.

This wouls give u great upgrade. I have the Vraptor and it gets buried by my Vertex2.

If u have a SATA3 get Crucial M4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 21, 2011 12:46:21 PM

Will it work in my MacBook pro?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 12:58:28 PM

Ex Somnio said:
Will it work in my MacBook pro?

It looks like it does, but it suffers in performance. Depends on the model and OS version.

m
0
l
a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 1:04:24 PM

I am not surprised that OSX don't work with SSD very well because of the lack of TRIM support.

TRIM only in Snow Leopard with 3rd party implementation and native in Lion.

That person has Lion. May be he/she forgot to switch on TRIM.

Oh, wait. Form wiki:

"Lion supports TRIM for all Apple-installed SSD drives."

So I think only drives recognised by OSX as SSD will have TRIM enabled. I think that is OSX's weakness- hardware compatibility.

Also:

"As with Snow Leopard, TRIM support for 3rd party drives can be activated by modifying a kernel extension."

Probably have to start a new thread in Mac section to ask people there on how to enable TRIM.

m
0
l
October 21, 2011 1:14:28 PM

Pyree said:
I am not surprised that OSX don't work with SSD very well because of the lack of TRIM support.

TRIM only in Snow Leopard with 3rd party implementation and native in Lion.

That person has Lion. May be he/she forgot to switch on TRIM.

Oh, wait. Form wiki:

"Lion supports TRIM for all Apple-installed SSD drives."

So I think only drives recognised by OSX as SSD will have TRIM enabled. I think that is OSX's weakness- hardware compatibility.

Also:

"As with Snow Leopard, TRIM support for 3rd party drives can be activated by modifying a kernel extension."

Probably have to start a new thread in Mac section to ask people there on how to enable TRIM.


Would i just Pop the Drive in and it will work or will i have to Installation some Special Software?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 1:19:06 PM

Ex Somnio said:
Would i just Pop the Drive in and it will work or will i have to Installation some Special Software?

I was also reading on other Mac forum, that it was working fine, but here and there was some stuttering. So, u got some homework to do now : )

Anyway if it will not work fine, just return it.
m
0
l
!