dividedbyno1

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Does this processor have the power and speed to run most games ? It runs at 2.66ghz. Will this processor last me a long time?I also have an nvidia gtx 280.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If all you're gonna do is play games, the i7 isn't worth your money(overkill). Unless you want bragging rights or better benchmarks, I suggest looking at the i5.

kokin whats wrong with the i7 920 and gaming with it? It will be excelent for gaming as the OP asks - the i5 is a LOWER end processor

The i7 thanks to 8 threads will last you LONGER then an i5 and that platform should give you an upgrade path to an i7 6-core 12-threaded CPU in the future too :)

Kokin is just trying to say dont waste your money on a core i7 just for gaming alone. There nothing wrong with gaming on it. It's just majority of games dont gain any major benefits from HT. Also most games dont even benefit from quad cores. making the core i5 750 turbo boost much more attractive than core i7 920.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=109&p2=47

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_corei5750_corei7870/10.htm

As for
an upgrade path to an i7 6-core 12-threaded CPU in the future too

That will be overkill for gaming unless your doing FSX. Im not seeing many games using hexcore cpu's for many, many years down the road.

By that time when there an cpu upgrade needed, the core i7s will look like what our Pentium 4's and athlon 64's do today.

Also what do you mean core i5 is a "lower end processor"? It's what i would classify high mainstream cpu.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
warmon06 got what I was saying. i7 is indeed a powerful CPU, but most of it's power goes to waste if the user is just going to play games, meaning wasted money. Though more games have been optimizing dual or even triple cores, most games don't benefit quad core users. This may change in the future, but as for now, the most demanding PC games are sadly console ports.

The i5-750 is probably the best option for a gaming rig. It's powerful enough to match an i7's performance in games, aside from the little performance it loses during Crossfire in 8x/8x mode, but what's a 1-3 FPS loss compared to a $100-200+ price premium of having an i7? The i7 can support 8-12 logical cores and have triple-channel memory, but those have no real benefit in gaming, so there's no real reason to get an i7, unless you're doing extensive video-editing, programming, etc.