killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi Experts, lookin to take my new i5 to about 4.2Ghz. Nothing too dramatic as its my first time.

I have a Bitfinex Colossuss case and so the heatsink wont be seen at all and noise wont really be an issue either. Would I be better off going with a small water cooling unit like a H60 or just slap a Hyper 212 Evo on that bad boy?

How much performance would I need for this OC anyway? Any ideas? Moneys no big deal, but if I dont need a beast, why pay for it, right?

Thanks

ps just realised I have Corsair Vengeance ram. WIl that be too big for the Hyper?

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
going to 4.2 shouldnt be an issue with the hyper212, i have mine at 4.5 with a 212+ and it works great. it DOES cover the first ram slot on my mobo, i think i could get low profile in there but not my g.skill ripjaws. depends on your board and whether you have 2 or 4 sticks of ram, i just put mine in slots 2 and 4

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hey man, cool and cheers.

I have a Asus Z77. I have to use the 2nd and 4th slots for my Ram anyway I believe so should be all good.

Just out of curiosity, wouldnt it depend on which way you had it configured. Eg if the fans are blowing up or sideways?

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
also depends on what case you have, if you use one of those slanted case from silverstone and you have your cooler face sideways or down, you won't be getting much out of it.