Sign in with
Your question

Best decision to make - processor upgrade (gamer)

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2009 10:24:08 PM

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my processor and need opinions. I am torn between an E8500 or a Q9400. Both marked at the same price on newegg. I WILL NOT BE OVERCLOCKING, due to the fact that my mobo sucks for it.

I am currently running an E6600 paired with an 4870x2 and 4GB DDR2-800 of RAM. My issue is that I'm struggling to get the frames I should be getting in Steam games (Source, TF2, L4D2) on max settings @ 1680x1050, which from my knowledge are more CPU intensive. I can hit an average of around 300 on the stress test, but struggle to maintain above 100 in servers? I'm assuming that my processor is what's bottlenecking...seeing that on some benchmarks, I should be getting WAY better results.

Can I get some input and opinions on which upgrade I should get so that I get the best performance out of my system without a bottlenecking issue?

Thanks for your time.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2009 10:45:39 PM

conventional LCD monitors refresh at 60 Hz . Thats 60 times a second . If your card is producing frame rates in excess of 60 FPS you dont see it on the screen anyway

dont waste your money
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2009 11:25:01 PM

Outlander_04 said:
conventional LCD monitors refresh at 60 Hz . Thats 60 times a second . If your card is producing frame rates in excess of 60 FPS you dont see it on the screen anyway

dont waste your money

+1 Agreed

!