1 CPU + 1 CPU=??

randomkid

Distinguished

Multiple CPU's are mostly used for enterprise servers. The benefit is more transactions can be processed ( multi thread ) + redundancy, i.e. if one CPU fails the server does not stop working.
If you can afford it, of course, you will gain the same benefits.

WC Aftermath

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
well how does this help in gaming computer is it worth t for me to spen the extra money to get a gaming motherboard that will support 2 cpu's

Definitely not now if you're just gaming, the majority of games cannot even use more than three or four cores, let alone the average eight or 12 cores in a dual CPU system, or 16 - 24 threads if you have buy a Nehalem Xeon. Besides, dual-CPU systems tend to cost far more than single CPU systems.

randomkid

Distinguished

Not worth it. Take note that you are not just paying extra for the motherboard itself but also for the 2nd CPU you have to buy to fill the socket. If you are into overclocking, then you have to buy a 2nd aftermarket cooler too ( I wonder if it will fit ). But if you can afford it and want something fancy, go for it... But it wont improve your gaming. Just your image among your friends who get to see your PC... :)
If you really want to improve your gaming, invest on the HD 5870 video card instead.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Juslt to summarize - in a dual core system you will pay a lot more for:

1. the 2 CPUs of course - but even more since they have to be special CPUS to work together
2. the mobo to have twice the CPU connections, the hardware to coordinate using the two, and often more memory sockets
3. generally special registered memory which costs a lot more than not
4. as mentioned above - multi-CPU systems are generally for commercial use, and vendors typically add much larger margins to higher end components

I am not aware of a single game that would benefit much from have two CPUs compared to have a single top end CPU such as the i7-920 and a strong graphics card. Unless perhaps you are tying to game on a 40" screen.

randomkid

Distinguished

How so? It is the resolution that matters. Not the size, does it?