4gb 800mhz ram
pc power and cooling 750w
windows vista 64 bit oem

i would like to future proof my pc..

so i would like to buy a new mobo
a core i5 or i7
and new ram.
and a mid atx or atx full case

now my vista 64bit is oem but i would like to carry it over to a new motherboard. now i know oem arent supposed to carry over but will it? ive carried it from a different motherboard to my ga ep45 ud3r from some random micro atx board before.

(gfx card and hard drive and psu are good for now right?)

also how much could i sell my used e8400, ga ep45 ud3r and 4gb of ram for?

also should i just save my money up till april or something and then upgrade my pc in the future when stuff is cheaper? is stuff expected to fall in 2010?

I hade about the same system as you a month ago, I was able to sell my system for 750 and bought this i5 750 in my sig for 300 bucks more.

Old rig was a C2D E8500 @ 3.8 gig
EP45-UD3P
GTX 260
4 gigs corsair DDR2 800

Now that i have the new rig let me tell you your not going to see a big inprovement in games with the i5 750, That E8400 is a good gaming CPU

My 2 cents is to hold off and wait to your PC wont play a game you bought then upgrade.

If you are gaming, $400 on a 5870 will give you more FPS than spending that much on a i7 cpu, ram and motherboard.

For a couple of Christmas upgrades:

1) Windows 7. You should be able to get an academic license or upgrade cheap.
2) A SSD for the OS and current game.
3) A second monitor is most useful.

All of the three will be good for the next generation; not much else will.

Your PC P&C psu is outstanding.
If you have a lousy case, the Antec 300 illusion edition is classy and cheap.

G

yeah my case is REALLY shitty. xD whats an acedemic licence or how could i upgrade cheap and whats a SSD?

I Might get a new case but i dont wanna do a case swap exactly (i always get the power switch wrong and it pisses me off lol)

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
The other option since you have ddr2 if you want to go current. You could always pick up an AMD AM2+ motherboard, maybe a Phenom 2 955 x4 and reuse your 4 gb of memory. Normally for a new build I'd say go AM3 if building an AMD rig, but since you already have 4 gb of ram, it would save you some cash. Or as was suggested, you might consider a new video card, the 8400 should still be ok for a little while.

yeah my case is REALLY shitty. xD whats an acedemic licence or how could i upgrade cheap and whats a SSD?

I Might get a new case but i dont wanna do a case swap exactly (i always get the power switch wrong and it pisses me off lol)

If you are a student, you can buy a windows 7 license for about $30, I think. Google will lead you to the details.

SSD= solid state disk. They are expensive, but great for your OS. Intel X25-m 80gb is good, also look at kingston 40gb for lots $ less.

You can't get the power switch wrong, it is a momentary contact switch that can be connected either way.