4gb 800mhz ram
pc power and cooling 750w
windows vista 64 bit oem

i would like to future proof my pc..

so i would like to buy a new mobo
a core i5 or i7
and new ram.
and a mid atx or atx full case

now my vista 64bit is oem but i would like to carry it over to a new motherboard. now i know oem arent supposed to carry over but will it? ive carried it from a different motherboard to my ga ep45 ud3r from some random micro atx board before.

(gfx card and hard drive and psu are good for now right?)

also how much could i sell my used e8400, ga ep45 ud3r and 4gb of ram for?

also should i just save my money up till april or something and then upgrade my pc in the future when stuff is cheaper? is stuff expected to fall in 2010?
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade christmas
  1. I hade about the same system as you a month ago, I was able to sell my system for 750 and bought this i5 750 in my sig for 300 bucks more.

Old rig was a C2D E8500 @ 3.8 gig
    EP45-UD3P
    GTX 260
    4 gigs corsair DDR2 800

Now that i have the new rig let me tell you your not going to see a big inprovement in games with the i5 750, That E8400 is a good gaming CPU

My 2 cents is to hold off and wait to your PC wont play a game you bought then upgrade.
  2. If you are gaming, $400 on a 5870 will give you more FPS than spending that much on a i7 cpu, ram and motherboard.

For a couple of Christmas upgrades:

1) Windows 7. You should be able to get an academic license or upgrade cheap.
    2) A SSD for the OS and current game.
    3) A second monitor is most useful.

All of the three will be good for the next generation; not much else will.

Your PC P&C psu is outstanding.
    If you have a lousy case, the Antec 300 illusion edition is classy and cheap.
  3. yeah my case is REALLY shitty. xD whats an acedemic licence or how could i upgrade cheap and whats a SSD?

I Might get a new case but i dont wanna do a case swap exactly (i always get the power switch wrong and it pisses me off lol)
  4. The other option since you have ddr2 if you want to go current. You could always pick up an AMD AM2+ motherboard, maybe a Phenom 2 955 x4 and reuse your 4 gb of memory. Normally for a new build I'd say go AM3 if building an AMD rig, but since you already have 4 gb of ram, it would save you some cash. Or as was suggested, you might consider a new video card, the 8400 should still be ok for a little while.
  5. Quote:
    yeah my case is REALLY shitty. xD whats an acedemic licence or how could i upgrade cheap and whats a SSD?

I Might get a new case but i dont wanna do a case swap exactly (i always get the power switch wrong and it pisses me off lol)

If you are a student, you can buy a windows 7 license for about $30, I think. Google will lead you to the details.

SSD= solid state disk. They are expensive, but great for your OS. Intel X25-m 80gb is good, also look at kingston 40gb for lots $ less.

You can't get the power switch wrong, it is a momentary contact switch that can be connected either way.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Windows Vista Systems