ATI RADEON HD 4670 Crashing alot

firewall09

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hi everybody

my problem is I have an Ati Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3
Since I've installed it , my pc has been crashing with simplest things.

1- When I run Google Earth I get texture problems and ends with Freezing my PC and i need to reboot it manually.

2-When I run any game except only ( GTA IV - Silent Hill Homecoming ) The PC will freeze and I need to reboot it manually or I may get a TDR Message with (Crysis Warhead) in addition i get texture problems With Godfather II before it freezes.

I tried :
1- Rolling back to different Ati Drivers ( 9.4 , 9.9 , 9.10 , 9.11) which was no use
2- Checking if the GPU Was overheating and it wasn't as the maximum temperature it ever reached was 60 degree and i don't think that's high, is it ?

My specs are :
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
2GB RAM (2X1 GB)
PSU:MegaPower-450W
Motherboard : ECS G31T-M
Driver Version : Catalyst 9.11

Have any ideas ?

Solution
You may have a defective card, and the problems might not go away until it is replaced. Consider warranty claim as an option.

I have been unsuccessful in getting much detail on your PSU via Google, and I don't recognise the brand. It might be drastically overrated, and if it is aged, could be suspect.

Try to obtain another PSU for testing. Yours has overpower protection, which has been known to allow freeze crashing instead of reboots during power shortages, and if it is an older unit, might be failing you.

javygonx

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Remove the Card, and perform same tests to see what happens. If your system starts working fine after you remove the card, then I suggest to backup your importan files (Documents, Pics, Videos, etc), and perform a fresh install of Windows Vista with the Card already installed.

You can try also unisntalling all ATI Drivers, one by one, and then reboot the PC.; then Install driver.

Do not do the uninstall then install without rebooting.

firewall09

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

tried that but it was no use

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
You may have a defective card, and the problems might not go away until it is replaced. Consider warranty claim as an option.

I have been unsuccessful in getting much detail on your PSU via Google, and I don't recognise the brand. It might be drastically overrated, and if it is aged, could be suspect.

Try to obtain another PSU for testing. Yours has overpower protection, which has been known to allow freeze crashing instead of reboots during power shortages, and if it is an older unit, might be failing you.

Solution

jayw84

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I had similar in game problems and crashes with my HD 4770. It installed fine, and was running nice and cool, but gave huge graphical errors when trying to game etc. In the end I discivered that the problem was my motherboard BIOS version. I had to get one directly from ASROCK (a new unreleased one!) and after flashing it, my card worked fine. Was a long processes though...

firewall09

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

I'm sorry but can u tell me how to update my BIOS ?