using laptop screen for a desktop monitor?

Hello

With a bunch of outdated laptops sitting around, is there a way to
connect the screens to a desktop PC?

I guess I am looking for a video cable and power supply adapter.

thanks

Mike
7 answers Last reply
More about using laptop screen desktop monitor

    Not in the way that you are thinking.

    You can build (just about literally) a desktop LCD display using an old
    laptop panel, but it may cost more than a new desktop LCD display bought
    in a store, and it will be awkward and ugly.

    There are ways to connect two PC's in a "remote control" environment so
    that one computer has the other's scree, but we are talking things like
    Laplink, remote assistance and Windows Remote Desktop. These
    configurations are possible, but I have a feeling that they are not what
    you are looking for.

    mike wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > With a bunch of outdated laptops sitting around, is there a way to
    > connect the screens to a desktop PC?
    >
    > I guess I am looking for a video cable and power supply adapter.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Mike

    Where can I get more information on either solution?

    Thanks in advance!

    Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message news:<40DB8BAF.2000507@neo.rr.com>...
    > Not in the way that you are thinking.
    >
    > You can build (just about literally) a desktop LCD display using an old
    > laptop panel, but it may cost more than a new desktop LCD display bought
    > in a store, and it will be awkward and ugly.
    >
    > There are ways to connect two PC's in a "remote control" environment so
    > that one computer has the other's scree, but we are talking things like
    > Laplink, remote assistance and Windows Remote Desktop. These
    > configurations are possible, but I have a feeling that they are not what
    > you are looking for.
    >

    > mike wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > With a bunch of outdated laptops sitting around, is there a way to
    > > connect the screens to a desktop PC?
    > >
    > > I guess I am looking for a video cable and power supply adapter.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Mike

    Not sure what you want to accomplish, but you could use a KVM switch
    to use one keyboard, monitor and mouse on two or more computers.

    hawk

    mike wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > With a bunch of outdated laptops sitting around, is there a way to
    > connect the screens to a desktop PC?
    >
    > I guess I am looking for a video cable and power supply adapter.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Mike

    I have a desktop computer with no monitor. I have a bunch of laptops.
    I was trying to either cannabalize the LCD monitor from the laptop or
    do some laplink thingy.

    I don't think KVM switch will work. I don't have a desktop monitor.

    Thanks!

    mike <micgolub@aol.com> wrote:
    > I have a desktop computer with no monitor. I have a bunch of laptops.
    > I was trying to either cannabalize the LCD monitor from the laptop or
    > do some laplink thingy.

    http://www.eio.com/lcdconnect.htm Almost anything is possible if you throw
    enough money at it!

    Seriously, just go find a 15" desktop LCD on closeout somewhere, last one I
    got was $99!

    --
    Regards,

    James

  6. i too have an compaq laptop screeen but no mother board or processor. how can i connect it to my pc. any adapter for power and display of the laptop screen

    help me

Laptops Desktops Laptop Screen