Getting a new system, concerns regarding triple channel/bottlenecking

godinster

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Had a few questions about a rig I'm about to order potentially. I'm not paying cash for it, it's being obtained in exchange for "Virtual" money of sorts, so I don't have a say in what comes with it unfortunately but it seems like a decent setup. Here's what he's sent me about it.

COOLERMASTER WAVEMASTER
==========================================================
Intel i7/920 @2.67 X8 cores Brand New
Thermaltake 700W
EVGA X58 SLI X3- 132-BL-E758-A1 Full registerable
4gigs Platium OCZ1333 DDR#3
WD 300Gig Velco Raptor@10K RPM's for gameing and for your OS
WD 500gig Barricuda@7200.12
EVGA 8800 ULTRA@612 Mhz// 2160 Memory Clock //1.51 Shader Clock//104 gigbytes bandwidth[/B
LG Super Burner
Zalman 5.1 Headphones &mic
Razer Lachesis Lazer Mouse & Kingwin Keyboard
]===========================================================
One of 4 choices the OS

1) XP HOME EDTION
2)XP Professional X64 Edtion
3)Vista Home Premium 32 &64 bit version
4) No OS

My concerns are the RAM mainly. I understand the motherboard included is a triple channel board and it seems as though he's include two sticks of DDR3 RAM. Will this be a problem? Should I buy another stick and toss it in to make it a solid 6 GB and prevent any voltage problems [if there might be any]?

Another thing, my current rig is as follows: e8400, HD4850, EP-35, and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. Am I going to see much of an increase for gaming or anything else for that matter? I believe my 4850 GPU is better so what I'm considering is swapping video cards and using the new system as my own and either selling the other system, giving it away as a gift or using it as a home theater PC. What would be the most equivilant video card to the rest of the system because I don't really want to bottle neck myself with a high end PC especially with that motherboard and CPU being as powerful as they are.

Anything else I should note or consider? Thanks for any help.

^ Running the RAM in dual-channel wont have a negative effect on the performance but also it wouldn't be fully utilizing the Tri-channel controller's potential...So adding 1 more similar stick would be a good option...
And as for the graphics card, the HD 4850 and the Ultra would have nearly the same performance...Maybe check the games compatibility with the cards...
Rest are good...
And any more info about that PSU ? Always an 80+ certified PSU would be a good bet...

godinster

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks. I was thinking of dropping an 5xxx card into the new computer but maybe it might be wise to crossfire 4850s in the new rig? I've never crossfired before and I've heard it's generally a waste of money but in my case might it balance the system out a bit more at a much more reasonable price?

^ It would take a while for DirectX 11 to go mainstream...And I dont see it happening until Q1 2010...So going HD 4850 crossfire would be a very good option, if you game often and at high resolution with high details...and when DirectX 11 becomes mainstream, the powerful cards such as the HD 58xx series would be available at lower prices, which would be a good upgrade...

^ Before you upgrade your monitor, upgrade the Graphics first or just hold the upgrade...
Your monitor resolution though not extremely high, I would say is high...and you would still need powerful graphic cards to play graphic intensive games like Crysis Warhead, Far Cry2 at high details...And games will only be more graphics intensive...

^ Like I said it would depend on your gaming - If you game often and play more FPS and graphic intensive games like the ones that I had given above, then sure it would be worth it...You will be able to max out the settings...
But if you are a casual gamer and dont mind reducing the settings for a smooth gameplay, then that single HD 4850 might suffice...

godinster

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hmm. Turns out his RAM is 4x1 which kind of sucks. I'm gonna ask him if he can swap it for 2x2 GB instead so I can triple channel if need be.

Here's what he sent me:
4gigs Platium 4X1gigOCZ1333 DDR#3

godinster

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
I've decided it seems most price:performance beneficial to go with the dual 4850s in Crossfire. I looked into a 5850 and while they are nice, it seems as though buying another 4850 and crossfiring them in the system will benefit me quite alright for the time being. The fact that the 5850 cards are low on stock and $40+ more than their usual expected price on account of that helps my decision even more.

The person I'm getting it from agreed to trade the RAM and he's going to pay the difference to get a set of triple channel DDR3 RAM [3x2 GB].

Any opinions in favor or the contrary of my decision would be appreciated :)