Sign in with
Your question

How do I check/test the power supply + case fans?

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2010 4:19:10 PM

Hello... I have a thermaltake element G case and Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0308RU 750W. i installed the psu, and would like to know how i can test to see that the psu and case fans/leds are working properly. i attached a 4pin molex adaptor to one of the 4 pin molex in the case which i assumed was a fan, and then plugged in the psu and flipped the switch and got nothing, not even the psu fan/led. i would like to test the case + psu fans + lights before purchasing/assembling the rest to ensure case + psu aren't doa so that i can rma them right away if need be. how should i do this? is it possible? thanks for your time.
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 5, 2010 4:36:14 PM

You need to jump the green "Power On" pin on the 24 pin main connector with any of the black pins on same connector.
A paper clip works, make sure the rocker switch is off before putting in the jumper.
m
l
February 5, 2010 5:14:16 PM

delluser1 said:
You need to jump the green "Power On" pin on the 24 pin main connector with any of the black pins on same connector.
A paper clip works, make sure the rocker switch is off before putting in the jumper.

sounds dangerous and im a little confused?

stick a paperclip from any black pin on the 24pin with the green power on pin and turn on the switch while holding the pin in place? sounds like electrocution to me? what jumper? please explain
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2010 5:35:34 PM

(1) electrocution - Max voltage on the 20/24 pin MB connector is +12 V' "I'm OK" pin is +5 V. - Sorry wife WILL NOT get to collect on Life Insurance.

(2) Dellusure1 gave good advice. If after shorting the green (I'm OK) pin to black (ground) the PSU comes on (a fan connected to a molex comes on) there is a 50/50 chance it is still the PSU, could also be the MB, or the Power on off switch.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 5, 2010 5:46:42 PM

The green wire is the control line, that when grounded will turn on the PSU. Un grounded, there's 5 volts on the line. grounded, no more than about .020 amps flows through it.

After that, you can use a DMM to measure the voltages. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire: -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case swich. CPU needs this to boot.

Keep in mind that this does not test the PSU under any load.
m
l
February 5, 2010 7:49:47 PM

AWESOME! Thanks guys! i stuck the paperclip in the right holes and everything worked great! thank you.
m
l
!