Sign in with
Your question

Advice on fairly budget-y gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2009 4:48:37 AM

Hey. I'm planning on buying a new rig soonish and went browsing quickly for parts. Just so you all know, I'm not really up to date on (anything..) component related anymore, so there's not too much thought placed into the list. Pretty much the only components I've chosen for a reason are the 260 Nvidia card and the HDs.

The budget is roughly $1000, but it's bought off a Norwegian site so prices will vary.

Anyways, the list:
AMD Athlon II X4 630 AM3
Gainward GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX (260 being <155$ choice in the November test)
MSI 790GX-G65, 790GX+SB750, Socket-AM3
Kingston DDR3 HyperX SO-DIMM 1066MHz 4GB
2x Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 500GB

I already have a case and PSU left over from another PC
Silver Power PSU, 600W 120mm fan +

I could also need a new keyboard, but I'm a bit afraid of buying anything labeled as "gamer" keyboards since I fear they will be very overpriced at best.

Thoughts? I'm very open for suggestions since I'm really not sure about what components are good these days.
November 24, 2009 8:12:59 AM

u can certainly upgrade ur selections ....with 1000$ u can build an awesome gaming pc......
u can get i7 920
gugabyte ex58 ud5
ati radeon 5850 or 5870(it will take care of up upcoming dx11 and the graphics will be totally eye candy !!!!)
3 x 1 gb ddr3 sdram crorair 1033 mhz or higher....(u can certainly get much better ram ....u might get 6 gb within ur budget too )
my recomendation get a single 1 tb hdd , if u arnt thinking of configuring ur hdds in raid.....
otherwise wats the use of having two separate and spending more on hdds ??
get samsund spinpoint f3
its pretty fast for a hdd...........

and do make sure u have a minimum of a mid tower with enf ventilation....and check ur psu...it will be better if u can get a 750 watt from crosair,antec .....
because i suppose ur old comp must have been older than 1 year and the psu is wearing out......

get normal keyboards and mouse combo...no need for gamer ....they cost tad much more and wont serve u any purpose until ur into heavy and professional gaming........

best of luck...tell me if u need more hlp !!!!

and i think all will be within 1000$
give it a try !!!!
online sites gives rebates...avail them!!!
newegg.com is good......u can also try frozencpu........
there are many others.........
November 24, 2009 1:23:27 PM

You might want to put it in the form of the stickied thread "How to ask for new build advice." What's it going to be used for? What parts don't you need? All of that info makes it much easier to build from...

I personally think an i7 is out of range of your budget (the CPU+Mobo tunnelrat suggested is almost $600). The build tunnelrat has there is probably more like $1200-1400, assuming you need a case and OS. That said, you're definitely underpowered for a $1000 budget. I'm building a $1100 computer, which excluding an extra 1 TB HDD or Windows 7 (which you might not need...), is basically your budget, and that would blow this build away. So I know we can do much better...

You can definitely get the best AMD CPU out there (X4 955 BE) or Intel's competing choice (i5) which is slightly more powerful, but $50 more expensive (not including additional expense on the mobo). The i5 is a better performance, especially for games, so it depends on what you're doing with the computer.

Even if you insist on dual 500GB, you should get the Samsung F3. It's faster and roughly the same price.

The RAM you chose isn't a great choice. There are a lot better sets for cheaper. Depending on what you're doing, you could up the amount of RAM.

Is there a specific reason you chose the 260? There are more powerful cards out there (both ATI and nVidia) that are within your budget. The GPUs tunnelrat pointed to are great, but hard to find and pricey.

How old is the PSU? You might need to replace it to ensure you have enough power in the new build, especially if you want to Crossfire/SLI in the future.
Related resources
November 24, 2009 2:35:15 PM

Well, for starters the components will be bought from a Norwegian store, so they'll be quite a bit more expensive than a US store. If I bought them from another country I'd have to add 25% to the price (for taxes) and add extra international shipping costs to the equation. The components I listed were roughly $900-950 on the store I'm looking.

The PC is going to be pretty much exclusively for gaming (25+ hours/week)

The dual 500GBs were just because they're WD (pretty much the only company I've never heard negatives about) and really cheap ;) 

Point taken, will look again at RAM.

I chose the 260 because it was on top of the budget cards for November and it wasn't an ATI. That's just personal preference though, as my old rig has had nothing but problems since I switched to ATI. The cards tunnelrat suggested are about twice as expensive as the 260 (jumping from $230 to $400).

The PSU is new out of the box, it was bought for another PC that ended up not needing it. Am hoping it'll be enough, but if I have to get a new one there's not much choice, so meh :) 

Windows 7 comes in addition to all this, but I'm not counting it in the budget just yet.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it :) 
November 24, 2009 2:42:44 PM

Those cards are expensive, but are the best available. There are also a lot of really good cards that are less than that. Right now the best cards are almost all exclusively ATI, especially if you weight DirectX 11 support as being important. I'd recommend taking a look at this article on GPUs. It has a breakdown of GPUs by price points. It is a little out of date, as the new ATI cards are literally weeks old, but has most of them included. If you look at the $140-200 range, the best card is for around $190 (probably not right) and is a Radeon HD 4870. It's worth another look, as prices have changed a lot recently with all the new stuff.

Edit: Another note on the RAM. When searching Newegg for it, I only found some laptop memory. Are you sure you found the right stuff? Regardless, you can still save about $10 for equal performance RAM (Crucial).
November 26, 2009 6:02:51 AM

Ok, I've been looking around a bit more and looking up your tips, so an updated list:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 AM3
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5
Mobo: MSI 790GX-G65, 790GX+SB750, Socket-AM3
RAM: Crucial DDR3 1066MHz 4GB KIT, CL7
HDD: Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 1TB

That'll cost me about $980 from the store I'm using. Worst part is, buying the same off newegg costs a mere $700 but they don't offer international shipping.

Upgrading to the AMD BE would be about $1090 and the i7-680 (w/ mobo) $1230.

Will see if I can scrounge enough money for the AMD BE, or even the i7-860. I'm in no real rush to buy the pc, so if waiting another month means I'll get something a lot better I guess I will.

Thanks for the help.
!