Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mounting new 2.5" SSD when out of hard drive bays?

Last response: in Storage
October 21, 2011 6:49:43 PM

I want to buy an SSD for use as a Windows 7 boot drive. My case's 3.5" bays are full of conventional 3.5" hard drives now, so I will need to use an empty 5.25" bay. I can think of two options for mounting an SSD:

1. Use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for the SSD then mount that in a 3.5" to 5.25" bay adapter. (Using two adapters seems a little "kludgy" to me).
2. Remove one of the 3.5" hard drives from its bay, use a 3.5" to 5.25" bay adapter to place that drive in a 5.25" bay. Then use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter to mount the SSD in the vacated 3.5" bay.

I also saw a Startech 5.25" bay adapter on Newegg that can accommodate a 2.5" or 3.5" drive (or both - it has two slots), but the reviews are not very good.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best approach to use? Thanks.
a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 7:15:14 PM

since it's all inside and not visible then why care if adapters are kludgy?

you could also just let it hang, unafixed to anything, SSD are durable.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 7:36:32 PM

I don't see anything wrong with two adapters, however I am considering using velcro or double back foam tape to mount one to the floor of my box.
Related resources
October 21, 2011 7:39:24 PM

Velcro is your best friend.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
October 21, 2011 7:55:40 PM

Buy larger 3.5" drives and consolidate your storage?

There are adapters for two 2.5" drives in one 3.5" bay. This would save you some space in the future.

Strangely, I use one that allows toolless insertion / removal of the SSDs, but I mount it internally. I wouldn't want to be able to remove my system drive while the system is running by accident!

http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mobile/racks/kf_251_bk...

The problem with Velcro / hanging loose is that someday you will move your PC, or someone else will move it to vacuum behind it (you wouldn't believe the dust bunnies in my cable space), and your drive will disconnect. And fall. And probably knock some component off of your motherboard while it is flopping around in there like a gaffed fish.

Four 2.5" drives in one 5.25" bay: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or you could spend a pile and try: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 21, 2011 7:59:43 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Buy larger 3.5" drives and consolidate your storage?

There are adapters for two 2.5" drives in one 3.5" bay. This would save you some space in the future.

Strangely, I use one that allows toolless insertion / removal of the SSDs, but I mount it internally. I wouldn't want to be able to remove my system drive while the system is running by accident!

http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mobile/racks/kf_251_bk...

The problem with Velcro / hanging loose is that someday you will move your PC, or someone else will move it to vacuum behind it (you wouldn't believe the dust bunnies in my cable space), and your drive will disconnect. And fall. And probably knock some component off of your motherboard while it is flopping around in there like a gaffed fish.

It depends on the type of velcro used. I use industrial velcro to hang up my giant poster frames and acoustic panels in my man cave. Over a year and still going strong. It'll take off chunks of drywall if forcibly removed so i doubt it'll come loose inside his pc.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
October 21, 2011 8:07:06 PM

stuup1dmofo

I agree. Note the "gaffed fish" simile - I was going a little hyperbolic there.

But in the real world, I like to be very conservative. The only hardware anchored with anything with sticky backing in my case is two of the fan speed controls. It's a matter of personal preference.
m
l
October 21, 2011 8:13:23 PM

Of course it's always better to err on the side of caution, however considering that an ssd is light as a feather, any option he chooses will probably suffice. Heck, I'm sure he can jury rig it with zip ties and it'll stay put. (note that i am not suggesting zip ties)
m
l
a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 9:01:13 PM

I see no problem with zip ties. Most computers just sit on the floor/desk and never move. If you carried it around in your car a lot you might need something more secure.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 21, 2011 9:11:01 PM

I think temp solution can be just about anything. Like WyomingKnott said - get a larger HDD & consolidate. Less power, less heat.
m
l
October 21, 2011 9:17:08 PM

Another way to do it if you feel ambitious is drilling holes in the bottom of your case to screw down your ssd, I know that my Antec 300 Illusion comes with them stock.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
October 21, 2011 9:18:51 PM

http://www.mnpctech.com/scotch_4010_tape_of_the_casemod...

This stuff is so strong you can put some on the side of your computer and stick it to the wall. The site I linked had a video where they did just that. Having said that you can stick the SSD anywhere thats convienent inside the computer.
You can always take one of the other hdd's and connect it by e-sata in the back of the case and put the SSD in the spot the hdd was in.
m
l
October 21, 2011 9:19:03 PM

and they place them about 1-2 inches off center from the 3.5 inch drive bays, closer to the middle of the bottom of the chassis.
m
l
October 21, 2011 10:44:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas. A lot of options to consider, some of which I hadn't thought of. The velcro idea is of interest, but I worry that if I use the industrial strength type that would "take off chunks of drywall", and later want to mount the SSD in a bay, it may be hard to remove the velcro from the drive.

As far as consolidating the existing drives to free up a 3.5" bay, the four 3.5" bays are all occupied by 2 TB drives (lots of HD movies). To consolidate them and end up with the same capacity I would have to upgrade two of the 2 TB drives to 3 TB drives, which would be costly.
m
l
October 22, 2011 2:58:55 AM

I'm not saying to use industrial strength velcro, but you could use a regular strength grade. It won't take much to hold an ssd as they are a few ounces at most. If a velcro strap can be used on tactical gear, it can be used to hold your ssd.
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:13:10 AM

Best answer selected by dalemccl.
m
l
!