Sign in with
Your question

My computer turns on, then turns off!

Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2010 5:55:02 PM

Okay, so my girlfriend ran my computer without the external fan pointed on it all day without asking me, when I got home my computer was running slow, I tried to play world of warcraft but it was at too low frames to play, so I check out CPU heat and it was at 75-80C, I knew that was too much so I pulled out the CPU and check the Thermal Paste, and of course it was starting to chip off from it being so dry.

I took alcohol to it, stripped off the old gunk, put on some new stuff.

It's called Dielectric Silicone Compound Electrical paste, I'm a mechanic and it's usually used in cars and anything electrical, I called the local computer shot, gave them the info on the silicone compound, they said that should work better than the usual compound so I applied it like they said, put everything back on normally.

I turn on my computer, and for about 45 seconds it works and gets to the Windows 7 Startup screen, then turns off, so I attempted to turn it back on, and only after about 30 seconds this time it turned off, then tried it again, and only after about 15 seconds it turned off.

Can anyone help me with this?

My computer specs are:

Intel P4 2.8Ghz
Stock HeatSinks
Corsair 1Gig Ram 2x with heatsinks
120G HD and a 80G Second
Radeon X1600-1650 Pro series.

Thanks in advanced.

More about : computer turns turns

a b à CPUs
February 5, 2010 7:45:59 PM

kuromacore said:
Okay, so my girlfriend ran my computer without the external fan pointed on it all day without asking me, when I got home my computer was running slow, I tried to play world of warcraft but it was at too low frames to play, so I check out CPU heat and it was at 75-80C, I knew that was too much so I pulled out the CPU and check the Thermal Paste, and of course it was starting to chip off from it being so dry.

I took alcohol to it, stripped off the old gunk, put on some new stuff.

It's called Dielectric Silicone Compound Electrical paste, I'm a mechanic and it's usually used in cars and anything electrical, I called the local computer shot, gave them the info on the silicone compound, they said that should work better than the usual compound so I applied it like they said, put everything back on normally.

I turn on my computer, and for about 45 seconds it works and gets to the Windows 7 Startup screen, then turns off, so I attempted to turn it back on, and only after about 30 seconds this time it turned off, then tried it again, and only after about 15 seconds it turned off.

Can anyone help me with this?

My computer specs are:

Intel P4 2.8Ghz
Stock HeatSinks
Corsair 1Gig Ram 2x with heatsinks
120G HD and a 80G Second
Radeon X1600-1650 Pro series.

Thanks in advanced.

hmm... certainly a hard one to figure out. I got a few questions.

Can you guve us you motherboard model number and name.

when you put the compound on the cpu, did any of that compound touch the Motherboard? If any did touch the motherboard, did you clean it up?

Also how old is the Power Supply unit, whats it wattage, brand, and model number.

I got a few idea's what could be wrong,

Although from the current info i have it maybe a dieing psu.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2010 7:58:17 PM

It could be your motherboard sensing overheating and shutting off. Try taking off heatsink and putting it back on PROPERLY. Maybe there is just a SMALL gap between cpu and heatsink.
And how do you play WOW with those specs?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2010 9:08:28 PM

Quote:
And how do you play WOW with those specs?

WoW isn't THAT demanding. I still know people who play WoW on X800s. :lol: 

@OP:
1. Re seat cooler.

2. Check if fan is plugged in to correct socket. In some boards it will not boot if CPU fan isn't plugged in to the right header.

3. Check PSU and power button.

m
l
February 5, 2010 9:56:04 PM

Motherboard P4V8X-MS Asus

It's a PSU, don't know how old it is, it's working fine, I know it's prolly a CPU Overheat problem, because it will remain idle in bios at 95C then when I try to run Windows it shuts off in a few seconds, I guess because it's demanding more than just sitting there, therefore the CPU get's hotter? And for the wattage, It's whatever wattage is standard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 1:19:21 AM

Quote:
because it will remain idle in bios at 95C

THAT IS over heating if your BIOS is right.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 1:22:52 AM

kuromacore said:
I know it's prolly a CPU Overheat problem, because it will remain idle in bios at 95C.

Sounds like you didn't install the CPU cooler properly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 1:25:28 AM

Learn how to seat the HSF correctly

Replace the thermal paste

Dust out the system

Reset the cmos and set the date and time correctly leaving everything stock

Update all the drivers
m
l
!