Mixing 4GB and 2GB memory strips on asus P6T Deluxe motherboard

I have the ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard and have 12 GB of RAM installed. I use the machine for some heavy duty music programs, one of which is Hauptwerk 3.30. This is a program that loads sampled organ files into RAM for playback using MIDI keyboards and pedals (a virtual organ). When trying to load one of the very large sampled organs, I have insufficient RAM to load all of the files at their full resolution. My question is: can I replace 2 of the 2GB strips of RAM with 4GB strips to increase my total RAM to 16GB? I cannot find any information on the ASUS web site concerning this. I guess it might be that the 4GB strips are relatively new and not many people have started using them. They are pricey; however, in my case it seems to be a fairly cost effective way to get 4 more GBs of RAM.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
4 answers Last reply
More about mixing memory strips asus deluxe motherboard
  1. According to Asus...
    The maximum memory P6T Deluxe can take is 12 GB.
    So you can't install anymore memory.
  2. fpsdominator,

Thanks for your reply; however, in my searching for an answer before I posted here, I went to Newegg and clicked on the P6T Deluxe motherboard and then on the manufacturer's product page and found that they list the board as supporting 24GB of RAM. I think that maybe the original 12GB was listed when the board first came out and 4GB strips of memory were not yet available. In any case, it is still a mystery to me about mixing different size RAM strips and if you can, is there a certain pattern that must be followed.

Thanks,

Tom
  3. After further research... it will support 24 GB of 1333mhz ram.
    How fast is the ram you have installed?
    You can mix 4gb sticks with 2 gb sticks, But since the P6t Deluxe is triple channel, you need to get a triple channel kit of 4 gb sticks,
    do you see on the motherboard that there is 3 orange slots and 3 black slots?
    Install the 3 4gb sticks in the orange slots and install the 3 2 gb sticks in the black slots.
  4. Thanks, only now I have to spend more $ to get 3 instead of 2. But it is only temporary money anyway!

Tom
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus RAM Motherboards