Sign in with
Your question

Mixing 4GB and 2GB memory strips on asus P6T Deluxe motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2010 6:33:38 PM

I have the ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard and have 12 GB of RAM installed. I use the machine for some heavy duty music programs, one of which is Hauptwerk 3.30. This is a program that loads sampled organ files into RAM for playback using MIDI keyboards and pedals (a virtual organ). When trying to load one of the very large sampled organs, I have insufficient RAM to load all of the files at their full resolution. My question is: can I replace 2 of the 2GB strips of RAM with 4GB strips to increase my total RAM to 16GB? I cannot find any information on the ASUS web site concerning this. I guess it might be that the 4GB strips are relatively new and not many people have started using them. They are pricey; however, in my case it seems to be a fairly cost effective way to get 4 more GBs of RAM.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
May 30, 2010 7:18:19 PM

According to Asus...
The maximum memory P6T Deluxe can take is 12 GB.
So you can't install anymore memory.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2010 7:27:01 PM

fpsdominator,

Thanks for your reply; however, in my searching for an answer before I posted here, I went to Newegg and clicked on the P6T Deluxe motherboard and then on the manufacturer's product page and found that they list the board as supporting 24GB of RAM. I think that maybe the original 12GB was listed when the board first came out and 4GB strips of memory were not yet available. In any case, it is still a mystery to me about mixing different size RAM strips and if you can, is there a certain pattern that must be followed.

Thanks,

Tom
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2010 7:48:08 PM

After further research... it will support 24 GB of 1333mhz ram.
How fast is the ram you have installed?
You can mix 4gb sticks with 2 gb sticks, But since the P6t Deluxe is triple channel, you need to get a triple channel kit of 4 gb sticks,
do you see on the motherboard that there is 3 orange slots and 3 black slots?
Install the 3 4gb sticks in the orange slots and install the 3 2 gb sticks in the black slots.

m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2010 8:30:05 PM

Thanks, only now I have to spend more $ to get 3 instead of 2. But it is only temporary money anyway!

Tom
m
l
!