Hard drive's free space reduces automatically

joyraj

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
my hard drive's free space is reducing automatically..it reduced from 3.19gb to 100mb within 2 minutes...and now it sometimes reaches 300 mb sometimes it reduces to 0 bytes....this happens very quickly...

is it a virus? i have an antivirus, which i update daily.
can any body help me on what is causing it and how to solve it?
i have tried disk clean up several times. and de-fragmentation too.

i am using windows 7 ultimate.

PLZ HELP..

3GB is not much free space to have. It is likely your virtual memory page file is changing size. That file by default can shrink and grow as you need more of less virtual memory.

Do you have a second drive with more space? If so, you can move the page file to the second drive and free up space on your C drive. More info at this Microsoft page (Vista and Win7 have the same settings).

joyraj

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
my c drive is not being used for paging but d drive is.
and i have problem with c drive. my d drive is system managed and c drive is showing NONE in 'paging file size'. today free space reduced to 31mb...HELP

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Use the 'Disk' tab on Windows' Resource Monitor to check which applications are writing to your C: drive, by sorting on the 'Writes' column. Hopefully, this will help you identify the offending application.

1. http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

2. Where's ya temp files going ? Move em off C:\

3. Where is ya e-mail storing stuff ?

4. Have you deleted all the $NTUninstallKBxxxxx$ files (must turn on hidden files and folders to see) Located in C:\Windows ..... I just did and gained back 1.3 GB

5. Gotten rid of all ya *.dmp files

6. You installing programs in C:\ProgramFiles ? ... stop that ! :)

- To get rid of that:

a) Copy the program folder from C:\Programfiles\[programname] to D:\[programname]
b) Reinstall the program over itself on D:\[programname] to set registry settings. Step a) preserves all ya customizations

joyraj

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
i dnt install any program in c drive. and i dnt have $NTUninstallKBxxxxx$ file in windows..bt what .dmp files u r talking abt??
i didn't find them. my free space increased to 1.7 gb yesterday and now it is 409mb..
i uninstalled crysis2 from d drive,after which the free space of c drive decreased to 1.3 gb which further decreased.