295 GTX, my system, new PSU

udprod

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hi Tomshardware!

I recently got a 295 GTX as a gift, but before placing it in my system I want to be sure I have enough power.

System:
260 GTX
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @2,5 GHz Stock speeds
8gb ddr3 RAM (4 sticks)
Fan Controller
3x 200 mm fans
2 harddrives @ 7200 RPM
Corsair 520 HX PSU

Will that be enough? Also, should I be afraid of bottlenecking (I don't know much about it, but I'm not upgrading my CPU, and if it is only a smaller bottleneck I am more than fine with it, as long as bottlenecks don't damage, I don't know).

I tried taking a PSU calculator thing, and I got an estimated 457 watt. That doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks in advance.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Depending on how efficient your power supply still is (I don't know how long you've had it), you should, in theory, have enough. Your power supply outputs around 40A on the 12v rail, and your system should pull around 35A. It's cutting it close a little close, IMO.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Plan on buying a new PSU.

That out of the way, go ahead and stick the card in and have at it. Either

a) Everything will run fine
b) It won't really run at all, or
c) You'll boot up successfully and run fine, until you play games or other demanding applications, at which point the current draw will be too much and the computer will shut down or restart.

Most likely scenarios are A or C. Hold onto your 260 GTX until you've been able to play games for a few hours with settings cranked up without any issues.

If the PSU can't take it, stick the 260 back in until you can get a new PSU. I'd recommend something in the 750W range for plenty of headroom. No need to go above 1000 (which I would only do if you think the Power Supply is going to stay with you for another build).

udprod

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hey.

Thanks for your replies.

I'll stick it in when I get it, and see if I can play Crysis for a few hours with everything on Ultra.
If I can't, Ill buy a new PSU.

Thanks.