Windows Validation: Does it really matter?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I find most Microsoft programs seriously deficient in features and design so I stay away from them like the plague. It seems one can disable or remove the Windows Validation thing but does that infringe upon my future flexibility later? Office (Word only) is the only Microsoft program I have any use for. Windows Media Payer, Wordpad, Notepad, Windows Live and all the rest are just not competitive as to what's out there. I find most people use Microsoft and Apple products because they haven't tried anything else. Then when they do, they're amazed at their productivity increase. It sure would be a better digital world if OS manufacturers like Microsoft and Apple did one thing and one thing only: The operating system. Both are seriously deficient in so many areas and instead of fixing those problems they focus on eye candy and gimmicks for idiots that are easily misled. A sad world of lost efficiency. When you look at what an amazing tool the iPhone/Touch, iPad and other tablets could be if hardware manufacturers used the built in computer power/screen partnered with their hardware, the tool section in your local Home Depot would look drastically different. Not to mention countless measuring and diagnostic functions that could be performed. Instead people play silly games and waste their lives away. Guess we need to appreciate technology much, much more to extract more out of it. That's my Sunday rant!

if you dont validate your windows your OS will stop working after a period of time. if you disable or remove it you may be breaking the licensing agreement. also you run the risk of not being able to install security updates from microsoft which is the #1 reason pcs become infected with malware and viruses. Have you given linux a try?

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

It is always a wise idea to understand what you're ranting about before you rant. In your case, you're crabbing about how you "have" to use MS word, and MS products suck, but you seem blissfully unaware of a product called Libre Office?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Lol....I was crabbing a bit wasn't I? :)
Haven't tried Libre Office. My problem is I update a website with MS Word. It works very well I must say for that. I tried Open Office and other word processors but I couldn't seem to Save as Webpage' so it could be sent via FTP and get updated. Do you know if Libre Office can save as a webpage? Or any other Word Processor? I'd love to get off the Office bandwagon. I use Word 2003 as I don't need the complexity of 2007 or 2010. 2003's layout also seems more streamlined and logical but that's probably because I'm more familiar with it. One day I'll get website software....:)

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

Haven't heard of that happening to anyone yet but my experience in this area is limited. How long is it supposed to work for? I used an unvalidated version of XP for probably a year without any obvious issues except for the annoyance of the message in the Systray. Don't care about the licensing agreement. Most security updates seem to install fine. They seem to restrict some features that seem appealing but probably are a complete waste of time. I can live without those.