Unlocking the AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
- My motherboard is an ASRock M3A780GXH/128M AM3 AMD 780G

This afternoon I decided I was going to try and unlock the fourth core on my processor so I went ahead and went into the BIOS and turned on ACC setting it to Auto. I also moved my multiplier back down to 14 (default). I was able to successfully boot up and get Windows to recognize the fourth core, although it was recognizing my processor as an AMD Engineering Sample. Seeing all of this, I decided to go run a stress test through Prime95 and through the AMD OverDrive utility. When I ran the Prime95 test on all 4 threads in the Blend setting, the first three threads ran fine and the fourth received and error instantly and stopped working. When I ran it through AMD OverDrive the utility just froze up. Is my core defective or should I try increasing the voltage or something?

Solution
Those processors were mostly defective in one core. I hated it when it was going around that most of them were unlockable. Chances are your 4th is defective like it was marketed.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Those processors were mostly defective in one core. I hated it when it was going around that most of them were unlockable. Chances are your 4th is defective like it was marketed.

Solution