Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Internal Floppy Drive?

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2010 9:35:02 PM

Im building two systems out of some extra equipment i have left over from my techie years.

As it is, the two systems absolutely must have internal Floppy drives. Reason being, they are going to an embroidery shop where the machines use floppy cards to read the programming instructions.

The client is fairly adamant about having internal drives. Im saving external as a very last resort.

The issue is, i cannot find a motherboard that has the floppy controller on it. The software requires a fairly high-end system, and with those specs, i simply cannot find a motherboard that has the floppy controller.

So my question is, is there some form of adapter, cable, or even a drive that will work for me?

Im not sure if there is a controller card i can get, i cant seem to find one..

Any Ideas?

The boards i have now have most standard connections on them (USB, Sata, IDE, PCI)

More about : internal floppy drive

February 5, 2010 10:04:43 PM

If you look carefully, those have a 32pin connection on the back, and iunder the specs it says:

"Requires one available on board floppy controller connection (standard in all computer)"

"standard in all computer" my @$$
Score
Related resources
February 5, 2010 10:07:00 PM

Cmon, man
I just did a quick Google and I found SATA floppys, USB floppys, floppy drives almost any way you want them.

Open the case remove the drive, mount it and connect to the internal headers. You may have to do a little frankensteining....

Seriously that one cannot use a USB drive in some way???
Score
February 5, 2010 10:08:23 PM

Hi there,

I researched a similar problem looking for a 5 1/4" floppy drive to load an oldtime program for use. Didn't have any luck.

However there are several internal half height multicard and 3 1/2" combination floppy readers available with a USB connection to the motherboard.
One is the Ultra 40366 at Buy.com, and another is the Sabrent CRW-Flp268 from Amazon.com. Each cost about $30. Don't need a floppy controller for these.

Those are both internal "floppy drives" which will interface with pretty much any recent motherboard. I don't know for sure, but assume the power cable is just a simple "berg" small floppy power connector requiring the standard 12V and 5V.

That should get you thru several years, hopefully until the shop moves their program to a CD or flash drive.

I did also see a motherboard recently (?gigabyte) that still had a floppy controller on it, however, if you went that route, if the motherboard has a problem you are going to be hard pressed finding another recent replacement motherboard with the interface.

There are also 3 1/2" internal Sony MPF-920 floppy drives on ebay for about $20 but there you have to have the floppy controller on the motherboard to interface it.

Hope that's helpful.

John VK
Score
February 16, 2010 12:06:04 AM

Well for those of you who happen across this thread and want answers, there is none.

All of the above products require on onboard Floppy controller, despite what the posters believe. Trust me, i tried.

As it stands now, if you want a floppy drive, your only option is external, unless you somehow happen to find a motherboard that has a built in controller.

There are no sata/pata/etc. internal drives. They all require the 32pin connector, and if you dont have it, external is your only option.
Score
March 7, 2010 1:28:21 AM

If you are still looking, the asus p6t version 1 and 2 both appear to have a floppy connector on the mother board. I don't think it is mentioned in the specs, but you can see it in the pictures. It was removed on the p6td deluxe version, so that won't work for you. but the ASUS P6T V2 should

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
March 7, 2010 1:18:31 PM

Not sure what you mean by modern. Personally I'd go for a micro ATX G31 or G33, they do have floppy controllers and support all the Core 2s ever made. I have an Inspiron 530s that uses a modified Foxconn board that has one. I didn't put one in because the cases' 3.5 inch slot wasn't standard and had no screw holes for my drive. An Antec Earthwatts 650 does have the floppy power connector, or am I mistaken and all PSUs come with one?
Score
April 9, 2010 3:27:30 PM

Thanks VT for posting. I am looking for this also.

No Jack. Those are NOT USB floppy drives. They still need a floppy cable and controller.
The USB connector is for the card reader.

Good call RR19, the motherboard is clearly labeled "FLOPPY":
From NewEgg: http://tinyurl.com/ylejxsu
From ASUS: http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP8RG9han6saZx

I was looking for a possible SATA to Floppy converter card add in.
Please let me know if you find a solution.
Score
September 14, 2010 2:27:00 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,

I researched a similar problem looking for a 5 1/4" floppy drive to load an oldtime program for use. Didn't have any luck.

However there are several internal half height multicard and 3 1/2" combination floppy readers available with a USB connection to the motherboard.
One is the Ultra 40366 at Buy.com, and another is the Sabrent CRW-Flp268 from Amazon.com. Each cost about $30. Don't need a floppy controller for these.

Those are both internal "floppy drives" which will interface with pretty much any recent motherboard. I don't know for sure, but assume the power cable is just a simple "berg" small floppy power connector requiring the standard 12V and 5V.

That should get you thru several years, hopefully until the shop moves their program to a CD or flash drive.

I did also see a motherboard recently (?gigabyte) that still had a floppy controller on it, however, if you went that route, if the motherboard has a problem you are going to be hard pressed finding another recent replacement motherboard with the interface.

There are also 3 1/2" internal Sony MPF-920 floppy drives on ebay for about $20 but there you have to have the floppy controller on the motherboard to interface it.

Hope that's helpful.

John VK

Hi John ~

How do I know if my motherboard has the floppy controller for my MPF-920-F sony Floppy??

Thank you Mike
Score
September 20, 2010 6:05:07 AM

Ref 'John VK' - The Drives you indicated... the "Readers" utilize the USB, but the 3½ Floppy section still NEEDS a 34 pin-out on the motherboard.

That is the crux of the problem... adding the 34 pin 'header' to an m-board that does not natively have one.

If anyone discovers a way, I'd sure like to know.
Score
September 20, 2010 8:03:33 AM

Can you not load what ever is on the floppies onto a usb/hdd/cd/flash/network drive? Either way I would be making a backup onto something more reliable then a floppy disk.
Score
September 20, 2010 1:57:11 PM

That is exactly my point, how would that be accomplished without a FDD to read the floppy in the first place? Not withstanding a 2nd machine, etc.
Score
September 20, 2010 3:39:39 PM

I know what you are taking about, my wife does alot of embroidery work using PEdesign. Luckly, her newest brother machine takes thumbdrives, but one of her older machines required the 3 1/2" floppy. She is also a bowling Sec and the program, upto 2 yrs ago, required the FFD to do the BU and for taking it to the Bowling ally.

For work, I need FDD suport as I'm currenly stuck with supporting three "OLD" windows 3.11 systems that are USB- What the He#@ is that!

My last build was an I5-750 on a Gigabyte P55-UD4-P which HAD a FDD controller. This was right about the time they were changing over to the Support USB 3 and SATA 6 (P55A models). You may be able to find the P55-UD3, or UD 4 as it was discontinued just last year., and other Last year models, But as one said, getting a replacement downstream may be Hard.

What processor are you tring to support.
Score
September 21, 2010 2:24:44 AM

when you find a mobo with your FDD connector I suggest you buy a spare or two. Good luck.
Score
September 21, 2010 5:06:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!