Your question

Windows 7 failing to install

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2009 3:10:21 PM

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a few computer parts and upgraded my computer. After putting it together, I switched it on and went to install windows 7 (hardware changes stop me booting my previous installation). (Note: I was previously using this windows 7 on my old mobo etc.) However, once it does the 'Loading Windows Files...' bit, I get an error message as follows:

"WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next"
3. Click "repair your computer."

File: ntoskrnl.exe

Info: Windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt."

This occurs straight after the files have loaded, thus I cannot get to the repair part, or check HDD partitions etc. I have tried using both sticks of the RAM seperately, to no avail. I have also unplugged both my HDDs and also tried both of my DVD drives. I have also tried upgrading the BIOS to version 1.4, which doesn't solve the problem. Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks.

Here are the new parts to my system:

Motherboard: MSI P55-CD53 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard.
CPU:Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156).
RAM: OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 Dual Channel OCZ3OB1600LV4GK).

And I am trying to install Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks,

Sasha.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2009 3:25:04 PM

First -- did you set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD first, and give the hard drive lower boot priority? It sounds like what would happen if the existing Windows version on the hard drive was trying to load, and ignoring what was on the DVD drive. Perhaps when you updated to the new BIOS version, it reset to default settings with the HDD booting first?

If that's not the issue, can you get a to a command prompt by booting from the Windows CD? If so, try formatting the hard drive from the command prompt. Formatting the whole hard drive is usually a good idea anyway with a new motherboard.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2009 3:32:04 PM

capt_taco said:
First -- did you set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD first, and give the hard drive lower boot priority? It sounds like what would happen if the existing Windows version on the hard drive was trying to load, and ignoring what was on the DVD drive. Perhaps when you updated to the new BIOS version, it reset to default settings with the HDD booting first?

If that's not the issue, can you get a to a command prompt by booting from the Windows CD? If so, try formatting the hard drive from the command prompt. Formatting the whole hard drive is usually a good idea anyway with a new motherboard.

Thanks for the quick response.

I had set the DVD to boot first when I got this problem. Also - I have tried it without having a single HDD attached, thus I am thinking it could not be a hard disk problem.

I am unsure how to format my hard drives without being able to use the windows DVD at all - as soon as the windows DVD loads the files and gets to 'Starting Windows', this error then pops up.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2009 7:10:28 PM

Well, that rules out the easy fix. If it was a problem on the hard drive (either the drive itself or the software installed on it), booting from a DVD ought to get around that, at least to the point where you could get into the recovery console. So if it's giving you that same error with no hard drive at all, it would seem to indicate either a hardware problem, or a problem with the Windows disc itself.

First thing I'd try is putting the Windows disc in another machine and see if it lets you boot. That way you can rule out a disc problem easily -- or if it actually is a bad disc, you can save yourself a lot of work.

Otherwise, it looks like there's a whole list of possible causes for an error in the NTOSKRNL.EXE file -- but again, most of them are software-related: boot files that actually ARE missing or corrupted on the hard drive, or partitions on the hard drive with old versions of Windows left over. But that shouldn't stop you from booting from CD. (Here's Microsoft's list of causes for that error XP; I couldn't find one for Windows 7, but it's going to be roughly the same idea and is probably irrelevant anyway, since it doesn't seem like the problem is on the hard drive).

One thing listed, though, is "general hardware failure," which could mean just about anything. However, I've seen some documentation around the Web where people have had this issue caused by a short in their keyboard cable, of all things. (one of several links here) For one last shot at an easy fix, try booting from the DVD with a different keyboard, or with no keyboard attached.

If that doesn't work, next guess is to start checking the new components one by one.
May 16, 2011 5:57:45 PM

I had the exact same problem. I could get into BIOS but in installing Win 7 Ultimate, I couldn't actually get to the install menu on the disk. Instead, I always got the dreaded "Status: 0xc0000098 " error.

I swapped out tons of parts. Nothing helped. I finally gave up and took it into the local computer store service department. They found the problem. It was bad memory. I tried different memory sticks (exact same manufacturer and model) and suddenly the thing worked.

February 25, 2013 9:42:53 AM

omg you r right, try out everything and its the memory's fault.
!