callumparker666

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
has anyone ever hooked their WC loops up to a domestic radiator? they are about the same price as your average WC rad and allot bigger, just with no fans, to me it kind of makes sense to recycle the waste heat and surely modern domestic radiators would be efficient enough for this purpose, though i imagine you wolud need a fairly powerful pump at either side of the rad.

Interesting proposition, I'm not sure that anyones tried it,
domestic rads are quite thick so it would be difficult to get the heat out of them,
it would basically be a passive loop and I'm not convinced it would work effectively,
unless you mounted it horizontally and laid it in ice :p
Moto

They are designed to emanate heat but you want a radiator that is able to be actively cooled by fans for example, you would need a hell of a fan to cool the radiators metal enough to cool the water inside,
@Recon, he means a house radiator like we have on walls,
not car rads, which are a suitable alternative, although again with the massive fans hehe
@Dj, yup too much noise and not effective enough
Moto

Built a custom WC system a few years ago and I found that certain transmission coolers will fit 3 120 mm fans perfectly with a little mod and are about 1/3 the price and cool exceptionally well. Youre welcome for that.

Yeah, if you're talking about a household heating radiator, there's no fan (even industrial) that will cool that, since the metal's too thick and it's not meant for cooling anyway. vrumor put you on the right track though. Although I DO think a full size car type radiator would work, but you would need a high flow pump for it to work properly, and a huge fan to cool it.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
The physics are behind you and it should work. That's a large area it has to heat up. You are talking about one of those old style metal ones right?

callumparker666

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
yeah voodooking, however it did occur to me as i was washing the pots just now that they are designed to store and release the heat slowly which of course would mean the cooling potential would be vastly reduced over time as the ambient air temp would increase and ultimately render the system ineffective.

fair point you make moto, though that doesn't seem to inhibit their use in household systems.

Car radiators, Toolmaker_03 found some great little copper things on ebay but we don't know what they are,
Excuse the Ms paint edit I did :p
rads1004.jpg

Moto

callumparker666

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
i think my curiosity on this matter has been satisfied, however i have one last question on modding, has anyone ever modded one of those sealed loops for different tubing/bigger rad, i had a look the other day and only found one thread on the matter however the discussion derailed only a few posts after the OP

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
ok truth be told most of the awesome builds that you see in the gallery they started from somewhere and most started with a kit of some sort but the reason most of us advocate for a custom build is because where trying to save you in the long run from buying something that will be dismantled and thrown away. let me explain this in a another way I like to build cars and my last project was a Nissan 240 sx after the warranty went out I started look at ways to make it better, stronger, faster, and more exciting. so I beefed up the shocks rebuilt the motor, rear-end, and transmission, the total on this was $12,000, cheaper than a new car, but more than I had to spend to do this. if I had bought the R edition I would have been able to achieve the same results for about $7000 if I had only considered who I am at the time when I bought it, true the R edition would have cost about $4000 more, but would have saved me a lot of work in the process. but I do have a car now that can squall the tires at 60 mph if you floor it. my girl friend drove it through a wall one day, and blamed me for causing the accident, said that my upgrades caused her to be unable to control the car. although when I arrived on the seen her friends were gone, and it was obvious that she had been drag racing the car. she never paid for the damage, but she also does not drive it any more either. man chicks can cost, a lot. but back to water cooling I bought a swiftech Qpower startup system. the start up was $600 just for the processor, but it was easy to upgrade and I did not half to throw anything away. so if you spend a little extra now, it will save you in the long run. maybe I should apply this type of consideration to women, if I get a higher class of woman now, she won't cost me so much latter? :lol: