Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How many core does the intel i5 has?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 5, 2010 11:10:06 PM

Hello,

the question is clear:how many core does the intel i5 has?
i google it the question and i found that the result is confusing.

some website claim that i5 has 2 core while some state that i5 has 4 core.
is it different series of i5 CPU has different number of core?
(like the i5-7xx has 4 core while the i5-4xx has 2 core?)

by the way,is the i5 support hyper-threading or turbo boost?

thx alot,im a computer newbie...

More about : core intel

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 5, 2010 11:16:03 PM

skyline100 said:
Hello,

the question is clear:how many core does the intel i5 has?
i google it the question and i found that the result is confusing.

some website claim that i5 has 2 core while some state that i5 has 4 core.
is it different series of i5 CPU has different number of core?
(like the i5-7xx has 4 core while the i5-4xx has 2 core?)

by the way,is the i5 support hyper-threading or turbo boost?

thx alot,im a computer newbie...


Core i5 7xx has 4 real cores and the i5 6xx has only 2 real cores.

All core i5 have turbo boost

Only the core i5 6xx has HT. Which is also called logical cores so it will acted like 4 cores. (although the performance is not quite like 4 real cores.)

Hope this helps. :) 

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/specific...

Share
February 5, 2010 11:52:33 PM

What Warmon6 said. :) 
Score
0
Related resources
February 7, 2010 11:10:50 PM

oh thx alot!

but the seller told me that the i5 has either 2 core or 4 core?
the i5 with 2 core has HT which means they are recognized as 4 core by the OS.
the i5 with 4 core DOESNOT has HT which mean they are also recognized as 4 core by the OS.

is that true? o.0
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2010 11:21:02 PM

That's pretty much it. But Hyper-threading will not make up for the lack of extra physical cores. In any case where an application is CPU-intensive only and scales performance well with the number of available logical cores, an i5 with 4 physical and 4 logical cores will outperform an i5 with 2 physical and 4 logical cores by a good margin.

In applications such as games or any CPU-only application that can't scale performance well the difference between 2 and 4 physical cores is much smaller and sometimes almost non-existent. It really depends on what you plan to use the PC for.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2010 11:25:54 PM

skyline100 said:
oh thx alot!

but the seller told me that the i5 has either 2 core or 4 core?
the i5 with 2 core has HT which means they are recognized as 4 core by the OS.
the i5 with 4 core DOESNOT has HT which mean they are also recognized as 4 core by the OS.

is that true? o.0


Yep. The OS sees the extra threads on the dual core as extra cores even though it doesn't perform as well as a true core.

heres an video explaining the performance difference between a dual core cpu and a hyper threaded CPU. (this is an old video so they dont include core i7/5/3's)



As for what the os sees, I'll use a core i7 as an example scene we all know that core i7's are quad core cpus and they also have HT.

If the core i7 HT is turned off, the OS would see this



If HT is on, the os see this.

Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2010 11:30:16 PM

randomizer said:
That's pretty much it. But Hyper-threading will not make up for the lack of extra physical cores. In any case where an application is CPU-intensive only and scales performance well with the number of available logical cores, an i5 with 4 physical and 4 logical cores will outperform an i5 with 2 physical and 4 logical cores by a good margin.

In applications such as games or any CPU-only application that can't scale performance well the difference between 2 and 4 physical cores is much smaller and sometimes almost non-existent. It really depends on what you plan to use the PC for.


+1
Score
0
February 8, 2010 11:08:05 PM

thx u guy,i had learnt alot here.

1 more last dumb question:
Are all of the i5 cores have only 4 thread maximum?
Score
0
a c 83 à CPUs
February 9, 2010 3:44:01 AM

skyline100 said:
thx u guy,i had learnt alot here.

1 more last dumb question:
Are all of the i5 cores have only 4 thread maximum?


Currently all I5 feature 4 threads, whether it is 2 cores with hyperthreading or 4 real cores.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2010 7:13:38 AM

skyline100 said:
my thought was i3 does not support hyper threading and turbo boost;
i5 support hyper threading(maximum 4 thread) and turbo boost;
i7 support hyper threading(8 thread) and turbo boost.

but now,i search the forum,and the result is:i3 support hyper threading??


http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274669-28-difference-...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Core-i3-i5-i7-Intel,93...


if i3 do support HT,then what's the different between i3 and i5?


My my, your full of questions. :lol: 

Yes the core i3 does support HT.

Quote:
if i3 do support HT,then what's the different between i3 and i5?


The difference between the 2 is that the core i5 has turbo boost and the core i3 doesn't.

Core i3
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei3/specific...

core i5
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei5/specific...

core i7
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specific...
Score
0
February 11, 2010 2:57:04 AM

as a newbie,i need to ask questions so i can be mature,right? =)


really thx alot ya! =D
Score
0
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 6:07:15 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
October 6, 2012 1:07:29 AM

Best answer selected by skyline100.
Score
0
!