    used and new there.

    From:Jeff Rusch
    nospam@nospam@com

    > I'm looking to buy a used ReplayTV 5040. Please send offers to:
    > jeffrusch@hotmail.com
    >
    > Thanks!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,uwisc.forsale,wi.forsale,wi.madison.forsale (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestion to check ebay. Unfortunately, the 5040's were
    going for a lot of money - in some instances they were even selling for more
    than what they would cost to get them from ReplayTV's Outlet store.

    This morning I searched froogle and found a link to ReplayTV's Outlet store
    where they are selling a "Factory Renewed" 5040 for $98.99. I bought one. It
    comes with a 30 day money back option and a 90 day warranty.

    Any one have experience with these? You think I should buy the lifetime
    activation? What happens if dies after 6 months - will ReplayTV fix it (for
    a fee)? Or do I have to buy a new one and lose the "lifetime" activation?

    Jeff

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    > Have you heard about an online auction site called ebay.com? Quite a few
    > used and new there.
    >
    > From:Jeff Rusch
    > nospam@nospam@com
    >
    >> I'm looking to buy a used ReplayTV 5040. Please send offers to:
    >> jeffrusch@hotmail.com
    >>
    >> Thanks!

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,uwisc.forsale,wi.forsale,wi.madison.forsale (More info?)

    General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote
    [snip]
    > Get the lifetime activation. Monthly is a waste.

    Absolutely. Lifetime gets you equity that has very high retention
    of value. (Spend $300 on lifetime and if you ever sell the unit,
    you can add at least 75% of that $300 to the price. There should
    be very little depreciation factor because lifetime is a concept that
    you can add as a feature, not something physically tangible that
    can wear out.

    Monthly, on the other hand, adds nothing of value to the machine
    and this will be reflected if you every try to sell it. Imagine a cellphone
    that you never have to pay a monthly bill for once you pay a large
    lump. Imagine how much you can sell that for vs. selling a cellphone
    that has no service until the buyer starts (and pays for) their own
    calling plan.

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 09:48:55 -0500, "Bao H. Lammy"
    <BaoLammy@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >General Kireiko" <douglas@panix.com> wrote
    >[snip]
    >> Get the lifetime activation. Monthly is a waste.
    >
    >Absolutely. Lifetime gets you equity that has very high retention
    >of value. (Spend $300 on lifetime and if you ever sell the unit,
    >you can add at least 75% of that $300 to the price. There should
    >be very little depreciation factor because lifetime is a concept that
    >you can add as a feature, not something physically tangible that
    >can wear out.
    >
    >Monthly, on the other hand, adds nothing of value to the machine
    >and this will be reflected if you every try to sell it. Imagine a cellphone
    >that you never have to pay a monthly bill for once you pay a large
    >lump. Imagine how much you can sell that for vs. selling a cellphone
    >that has no service until the buyer starts (and pays for) their own
    >calling plan.

    True, although that "value" thing assumes that you want to sell the
    Replay rather than use it. How about considering the value when you
    keep one?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:47:12 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >: True, although that "value" thing assumes that you want to sell the
    >: Replay rather than use it. How about considering the value when you
    >: keep one?
    >
    >Keep it? Where? In the box?

    As part of your A/V setup.

    >If you are going to USE the ReplayTV, and keep it until it dies, the
    >lifetime pays for itself in 24 months.

    True. I just thought you should mention that. Some people buy things
    to use, rather than resell.

    Actually, 25 months for me. I bought both of my units when activation
    was $250/$10. 24 is correct for the $300/$13 like they have now.

    >-Doug

    BTW, the email address I use is "augmented", in a way that should be
    obvious to readers of this newsgroup.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Actually, it's current 23 months. The value to one who keeps the unit is
    the replacement value of the unit. The $299 is an asset that retains
    it's value as long as the unit has remaining useful life.

    From:Mark Lloyd
    mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 20:36:23 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >Actually, it's current 23 months. The value to one who keeps the unit is
    >the replacement value of the unit.

    Right. Looks like I made a mistake somewhere. 25 still seems right for
    the older prices.

    >The $299 is an asset that retains
    >it's value as long as the unit has remaining useful life.

    Yes.

    >From:Mark Lloyd
    >mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx
    >
    >> On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:47:12 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    >> <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

    >>> Keep it? Where? In the box?
    >>
    >> As part of your A/V setup.
    >>
    >>> If you are going to USE the ReplayTV, and keep it until it dies, the
    >>> lifetime pays for itself in 24 months.
    >>>

    >> True. I just thought you should mention that. Some people buy things
    >> to use, rather than resell.
    >>
    >> Actually, 25 months for me. I bought both of my units when activation
    >> was $250/$10. 24 is correct for the $300/$13 like they have now.
    >>
    >>> -Doug
    >>
    >> BTW, the email address I use is "augmented", in a way that should be
    >> obvious to readers of this newsgroup.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark Lloyd
    >> http://go.to/notstupid
    >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >>
    >> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
    >> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
    >> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com