Can connect to DIR-655 router but no internet access

david_99

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I have a DIR-655 set up and it has been running 3 computers on the network and all had access to the internet. Two are cabled in and one is via wireless.

After upgrading to Win 7 the two computers cabled to the router (ethernet) continue to work fine and I can access the Internet with both and I can connect to one from the other.

The third computer (a notebook) which had been working via a woreless connection now is problematic. It also has been upgraded to WIN 7.

I can connect to the router via a wireless connection and both the router and computer recognize the connection BUT I can not access the internet via the router with this computer.

I have tried adjusting the router's settings, I have powered down the cable modem and router and repowered back up. I have removed the computer information from the router and powered everything doen sequentially and tried to reconnect as a new wireless and as a cabled setup. But no matter the combination I try, I can only connect to the router and it does not permit internet access.

Running the diagnostics tool gives the error message :

" Remote device or resource won't accept the connection".

Suggestions as to how to proceed would be greatly appreaciated.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

reddemon666

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have the same problem.

There's no problem on Ubuntu.

but when I log into Windows 7, the Dlink router DIR-655 shows up as connected, but no access to the internet unless I use a wired connection to the router.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Not sure why Win7 would change the wireless connection, unless you had WPA/2 on or the laptop isn't set up to pull an IP automatically.

You might also check the manufactures website for any new drivers for the wireless card for win7.

reddemon666

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
It wasn't a problem with the router after all. It was the Sony software on my VAIO laptop that somehow added a custom DNS address to the wireless profile which I hadn't set :S I'll have to check my PC to make sure, but I think that's solved it for me!

Stephen_1208

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hi reddemon666

I have the same problem as David_99 after replacing my wireless router from Buffalo to D-Link. I can connect my Sony Vaio laptop to DIR-655 via a wireless connection (I can access the router setup page at 192.168.0.1) but I cannot access the internet. There is no such problem with my Fujitsu laptop.

It seems that there is similar DNS problem on my Vaio as yours. May I know how you can fix it ?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

gailv

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hi I have same problem only my router is a Dlink 412 laptop shows it is connecting to router but will not connect to internet error comes up that server is not available, I'm using a wireless prepaid optus stick, its driving me crazy, has I've been trying to connect my ebook and my smart tv..My optus stick works fine when I take it out of router. But I need router to connect offer devices can anyone help me. Please..