Network Neighborhood Error "The list of computers. . ."

September 9, 2004 9:22:21 PM

I have a network with 4 XP Pro machines and 1 98 machine all in
workgroup mode with the same workgroup getting an IP from a DHCP
Server (Firewall router) and the DNS Server is a MAC OS/X Server.

The machines have internet access, can ping IP addresses for other
PCs, can resolve DNS, can resolve NetBIOS names with a 'ping machine1'
syntax, and the MAC side of the network can browse the PC network
showing all 5 PC's as well as being able to connect to their
resources. The PCs can map resource between one another and browse
resources but ONLY if using a UNC path to get there (ie
\\192.168.1.225 or \\MACHINE1). Trying to browse the Networking
Neighborhood/Entire Network->Workgroup yields errors.

I have enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP on all PC's, disabled the Computer
Browser on all machines except 1 XP box, even gone and installed
NetBEUI on a whim although I don't want to go this route. Still, no
NetBIOS names in the Network Neighborhood. I have run nbtstat -n and
-A IP and each machine shows the name of the PC registered to 00, 03,
and 20, as well as the WORKGROUP name registered to 2 groups (I forget
the numbering) and I can get all this information from any PC I'm
sitting at. Speed on the network is great, no problems or lag in
logging in as is experienced on XP machines with a 2000/2003 Server
with incorrect DNS (reason I started the MAC DNS). I am completely
baffled and would like any suggestions.

I can segregate the PCs to a simple workgroup and have done so for
testing. The Mac portion of the network will be introduced as files
reside on the MAC Server but it does not appear to be the cause of the
networking problem. There is also a Windows 2000 Server that is also
in a Workgroup/Standalone Server mode without DNS, DHCP, or Active
Directory running. It also experiences the same missing Network
Neighborhood.

Removing the server and pointing the PCs to an external DNS Server
yields the same results as does enabling WINS Services on the MAC
Server and directing all PCs to the WINS Server.

-Adam
September 11, 2004 4:41:48 AM

if memory serves me (which has been known to fail ;-))) disabling Computer
Browser on a system also disables it from announcing itself to the Master
Browser (the XP box you envisaged for that, right?)
this would (logic dictates that) result in the browser list being empty,
although I would have expected the XP box there, and thus there would have
been a browse list.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188001, windows XP
machines are not listed as eligable to become master browser, but I'm not
too sure this isn't an oversight on the part of the authors. I think XP
boxes are behaving like the NT4 workstations were at the time (in this
respect anyway).

Although not directly stating this is your problem,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318030 indicates
that "You cannot locate other computers in the workgroup" if "The Computer
Browser service is not started or is turned off on one or more computers in
the workgroup"

Also, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285035 dealing
with windows 2000 professional boxes could be interpreted as something valid
for xp boxes too. (I guess)

maybe not much, but hth
cheers
george