Read martins/skinnee stuff... Does Aqua Computer make the best stuff?

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Well I read the skinnee labs stuff and in all the comparos the aqua computer stuff seems to come out on top, usually followed closely by EK products. Martins website doesn't really have much Aqua Computer stuff in his tests. I'm not used to one brand making the best stuff on all fronts.... for example I would expect one company to make the best cpu blocks while another makes the best gpu blocks and yet another makes the best radiators, but from the skinnee labs testing Aqua Computer seems to kill it all on every front. Is this really the case?

Solution
well depending on the models that you're looking at, then yes, but you pay for that performance. but if money is no problem, the by all means yes, build a Aqua Computer rig for your components. that is a grand idea.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well depending on the models that you're looking at, then yes, but you pay for that performance. but if money is no problem, the by all means yes, build a Aqua Computer rig for your components. that is a grand idea.

Solution

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
As far as the AC blocks go, they are around $80-100 which is similar to most koolance/EK/swiftech/enzotech products.

The full-cover GPU blocks are around $115 a piece, while the competition is usually between $80-130.

Their radiators are very expensive, and they dont seem to be as much better than they are expensive. For this reason, I plan on using alphacool/ek/swiftech. All 3 seem like good options.

And to sum thing up I guess I will get into pumps, this area is giving me the most trouble!

Here is a post I put on OCN:

"So I used martins spreadsheet, put in the following:

-AC Kryos XT-Thick O-ring (plan on using the cuplex kryos HF, but that wasn't avalible in the file so I used this instead assuming they would be similar, both will be using thick o-rings)

-2 AC Aquagraphix480s (plan on using the 680's)

-2 xspc re360's

-2 90 degree elbows

-8 compression fittings'

ALL IN SERIES

I also plan on using an ek ram block for the corsair dominator, because I might oc my ram at some point and this is an inexpensive block specially made for the ram I would like to use. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14179/ex-blc-968/EK_Corsair_Dominator_Series_X4_Ram_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Electroless_Nickel_Plated_EK-RAM_Dominator_X4_-_EN_Nickel.html?tl=c225s557b133

His estimate seems to tell me I need more pump than the general guidelines in this thread suggest, and more pump than most places suggest. The only single pump that would put me in the "sweet spot" is an Iwaki RD-30 at 24V, which is a monster. There are dual pump options too of course. Do you guys think a build like this would require that much pump?"

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

CPU---AC Cuplex Kryos HF w/thick o-ring

2 gtx680s--- AC Aquagraphix gtx680 full cover blocks

EK Ram block for corsair dominator (does not look very restrictive) http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/large/ex-blc-968.jpg

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Unsure about what fans I will be using, I need to do a bit more research plus it depends on the controller. Not sure if I'm going pwm or what. Here's a link to another thread I started about possible fan control options:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1250192/rad-case-fan-control-options-would-prefer-an-automatic-control-system

Honestly though I haven't done enough research on fans.

As for mounting, I plan on doing everything internally on a large case, most likely a mountain mods pinnacle 24. I would have 3-4 fans per radiator, with each set of radiator fans on its own channel. There are two rear case fans, and I'm thinking about whether I would need another fan or 2 blowing on the mobo for cooling the chipset/mosfet etc...

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well when it comes to fans there are basically two ways of looking at it, this will also determine the type of radiators to use. let's start with how I build my systems today, I use 2 fans pre rad and low rpm fans with low FPI for the rads. this is not the most efficient way, but it works, and it is quiet. the other way is two use a push pull system with fans on both sides of the rads, high rpm fans, and high FPI rads. this method removes a lot of heat, and is very efficient, but it can be loud. that is about all there is to it, it is a matter of preference, on what you are trying to achieve, or what you are looking for out of the setup.

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Update, after doing more browsing on the internet I came across this thread about the silverstone ft02. I was considering this case but it didn't look like it could hold enough rad, after seeing this thread though I'm thinking it might be a good option.

The only issue is that while it can support a 3x180 mm radiator, for a second radiator it can only support a single 120mm. Would running a loop with the rad followed by a cpu block, memory block, and dual gpu blocks be alright with a single radiator? I was thinking it would be best to have a series loop with a radiator between the cpu+memory and the dual gpus so that the water doesnt pick up too much heat by going through 4 blocks in a row...

Anyhow, these are some sweet builds:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?258624-Fortress-FT02-amp-Raven-RV02-Liquid-Cooled-Club/page4

I'm not crazy about the systems blowing hot air through the radiator back into the case, but some builds reverse the flow and blow hot exhaust out the bottom such as the ones in posts 99 by aerial.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I want to say that boiler1990 did a build in a Raven case, pretty similar to a Fortress, so he likely can offer you some ideas, there. You might check out the build log/gallery as it's posted in there.

AquaComputer does make some very nice blocks and their GPU blocks are some of the better flowing in many tests. Their build quality is very good, but just be aware that their radiators are a little more restrictive than normal radiators built by most manufacturers. They are designed around the EU ideal of watercooling; smaller diameter tubing/fittings, lower flow rate, high head pressure, vs. the US where larger diameter, faster flow and lower head pressure are common. This isn't to say that you can't freely use their components in a loop with other components; just be aware of your loop build when considering all your parts.

Ah yes, the RV02/FT02 build thread :) I love my RV02; even though it pushes the hot air through the case, the components are isolated by the waterblocks so there's no effect. Also, the airflow setup is more efficient than in some other cases.

The FT02 will likely be a difficult case to get sufficient cooling for a CPU (I'm assuming we're talking IB or SB) and two bigger GPUs, since my 360 + 120 loop in my RV02 does *ok* with about 500-600W of heat dissipation (my 2500K + 2x6950s would sit at 45-47 at load).

The 3x180 might be good enough to get you what you want, but I'd read up on the reviews to make sure you can properly dissipate the necessary heat. Watercooling the RAM won't have an effect on your system (since RAM runs pretty cool nowadays), and more importantly the RAM block may add restriction to your loop if you don't get an appropriately powered pump.

sburck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I hear that. I'm feeling kind of foolish for mentioning a ram block. I read that ram doesn't need cooling. Than I saw the EK block specifically made for the ram I was planning on using for only 50 bucks and it was shiny, but after hearing again that ram doesn't need much cooling I think I'll pass on that.

As far as cases go, there are too many friggen options but not a single one is exactly what I want. Ive considered:

-Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 (not enough room to place shroud on top radiator, no lower level for pumps/valves etc, overpriced)

-Corsair 800D (Requires extensive modding for big radiators, no mesh in the bottom section for lower level radiator)

-Silverstone TJ07 (pretty damn good, my only complaint is the price and the fact that the psu gets in the way of a lower level radiator especially if you want a shroud)

-Silverstone FT02 (Looks great for air cooling. again no room for a shroud with the bottom radiator. Second radiator cant be any larger than a single 120. Limited space for pump and reservoir).

-NZXT Switch 810 (I think its freakin ugly)

-Bit Fenix colossus (looks awsome imo, cant fit enough rad internally)

So many companies try to make the perfect water cooling case but they all fail in one way or another.