ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
So, i recently made a gaming rig, to max out fsx -- i got a raedon hd 7870 1000mhz/4.8ghz 2gb , a i5 2500k processor @ 3.3ghz, 8 gb ram ddr3,

but my question is ; should i overclock my graphics card? What does overclocking even doo? Does it take out blurries off games? If i do choose to , is there ANY risk to it, will it die early, etc, also if i want to overclock the i5 to a mild 3.6 - 3.7ghz, with a nh d 14 cooler, will it be okay? will it give any bad effects? like kill it early? Because i want this computer to last a long time , im using a 600 watt psu. Also if i should overclock , how do i do it ?

What kills electronics is heat! And guess what? Overclocking makes the component (CPU, GPU) run faster and of course hotter!

If you decide to OC, make sure you monitor the temps closely. If the temps are within acceptable values, you are doing fine. This applies to the CPU as well as the GPU. (At higher clocks the display will be better).

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

so , if i OC my processor to 3.5 just 200 mhz more then stock , can i run that on a stock cooler, 24/7 , without any bad effectS? I need to know please and thanks . Also I have one of the best graphics cards ( raedon hd 7870 1000mhz/4.8ghz 2gb ) , should i OC that to get alot out of it , or would i still get awsome performance out of it at normal? Even if i dont overclock , do you think i can max out fsx? Thats what im mostly going to use it , but i only want to Oc if i cant get good frames, and or graphics.. Please help me out , im pretty confused on that lol. How would overclocking help me in fsx? Would it still play awsome , and good maxed out? I want a realistic feel. Thanks. :bounce:

OCing and running 24/7 depends on the temps; which in turn depend on the heatsink and the integrity of the CPU/heatsink installation.

Monitor the temps as you overclock. If the temps are fine (under 70 degs under load) you are doing fine.

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Thanks for your response! Also is there anyway you can estimate how long a overclocked cpu ( i5 2500k @ 3.6ghz) would last? I would be using a stock heatsink with it lol , its only like a 300mhz oC. Also before i give you top comment , do you think i will be able to max out a cpu and gpu intensive game with my specs that i gave u ? ( raedon hd 7870 1000mhz/4.8ghz , i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz ( assuming no Oc), 8gb corsair ddr3, asus p8z77? The game will be flight sim x, which i wana max out , with good fps , i will tweak the file a bit though to help me with settings, but i wana max everything out , do you think i will be able too ?

ovechkin1313

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Also how do i overclock lol? Is there a guilde or a link you can send me too? What program etc..

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

for gpu i don't really know. You'll bound to find if you look in Tom's. I've so far only done O/C with cpu, but never done gpu before.