• External Hard Drive
  • Macintosh
  • Seagate
  • Hard Drives
  • Format
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2011 6:41:46 PM

I just bought a seagate external hard drive. I want to back up from my mac & also from my pc. How do I partition the hard drive for both.
I also want to format the hard drive for my mac.
please help

More about : format seagate external hard drive mac

December 5, 2011 12:47:35 AM

sbanke said:
I just bought a seagate external hard drive. I want to back up from my mac & also from my pc. How do I partition the hard drive for both.
I also want to format the hard drive for my mac.
please help

Hi, sbanke-

I don't know about using the same external drive for backing up a Mac and a PC; I've never tried to install two different file systems on the same disk. Formatting and/or patitioning a drive for a mac is pretty easy with OSX. Use Disk Utility (look in Applications>Utilities) and if your external drive is plugged in and turned on, it should show up on the left. Select it and use file system type HFS+ (journaled) to format it for Macs. Partitioning is fairly self-explanatory, there's even a visual representation of the disk so you can see how it will end up. Also use Disk Utility to repair permissions and Verify (check) your drives. Keep in mind formatting and partitioning erases anything on the drive! Hope this helps.

m
l
!