Whats freezing my computer?

pabloe0168

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
2 SSD 40gb intel Raid 0
Intel i7 930
Gigabyte Udr3 motherboard
10gb ram ddr3 corsair (they same voltage and speed for every stick) (3x 2gb + 4gb stick)
Corsair h50
Thermaltake haf932
Corsair 850 psu
pny 560 ti

1.5tb seagate storage hdd

So out of nowhere my computer freezes. it doesnt partially freezes it does it completely cant move mouse and sound is cut.
I think it is due to my 1.5tb hdd because it started to happen when i installed it. but now i have removed it and the problem continues.

It had happened in the past. Randomly out of nowhere it freezes no matter what i am doing. playing or browsing. each time is more frequent. In the best i couldnt even boot my computer as out of nowhere i think that the Boot image was corrupted i dont remember very well...

Gpu temperature normal 60c when i play and 40 iddle

What may have caused this? i think it could have been installing call of duty in the hdd. because my os is in my raid array on my ssds.
Might be something environmental my pc case has been open because ive been lazy to close it. temps look normal though..

Any thoughts? thank you

I have avast pro and ive scanned many times no sign of really hurmful viruses. and i got the trial of tune up utilities which helps with registry errors.

Solution
I am currently running with the Nvidia 258.96 driver. The newer 260.89 driver caused freezing problems; so did the 266.58 driver. Only on certain programs. That's why I went back to the older 258.96 driver. Since then there is an even newer driver, but I have not bothered to download that one yet!
What is the CPU voltage set to? 1.375 Volts is the max for this CPU; mine is set at 1.275 V and works fine at this voltage (overclocked to 3.82 GHz).

The GPU temps look ok.

Just as a precaution, check the RAM one module at a time; if all pass individually, then keep adding modules one at a time and check for stability.

pabloe0168

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Voltage is standard. no overclock is think its 1.1 or something

1.1 volts is on the low side. Try raising it in 0.05 volt increments and run for a while. Check stability. Do not exceed the manufacturer's upper limit of 1.375 volts. Like I mentioned, mine is set at 1.275 volts with the CPU overclocked to 3.82 GHz.

When you raise the voltage in small increments, pay close attention to the temps.

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
if he didn't overclock then you shouldn't advise him on messing with voltage, computer should be stable if temps are ok
if it's not then you should load bios defaults and check your voltages for stability physically if you have a multimeter, you should run a memcheck too

other then PSU or one or more of memory sticks it may be the graphics (replace to check) or the mobo as a last guess

It's easy to eliminate insufficient voltage as the source of the problems. After that, he can check the RAM modules one module at a time.

If all these tests pass, then the PSU would be next. The 'paper clip' test is not conclusive; all it will tell is whether the PSU is totally dead or nor. It does not test under load. And to replace the PSU costs money. I like to exhaust the no-cost options first, before starting to replace parts.

Finally, the motherboard could be the culprit (high cost repair/replacement).

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Ubrales, no need to even mention the 'paper clip' test as the PSU is obviously not dead. That's why I suggest measuring PSU voltages if under stress by using standard multimeter for their stability and if they fit within +-5% ATX limits - or better say reasonable +-3%(check for youtube guides if're not familiar with this) - this is first thing that you should check if computer becomes unstable for unknown reason.
Though this PSU looks high-end, I don't know how likely these fail early

But you're right with possible software/driver problem and nvidia driver is the thing to check first actually.
And with the ssd raid array ...you can also eliminate this as potential problem by installing second OS on the hdd and working from there for some time...

I am currently running with the Nvidia 258.96 driver. The newer 260.89 driver caused freezing problems; so did the 266.58 driver. Only on certain programs. That's why I went back to the older 258.96 driver. Since then there is an even newer driver, but I have not bothered to download that one yet!

Solution