9800 GTX+ causes BSOD

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Info from BSOD:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x0007A (0xE20A4588, 0xC0000056, 0xB9E10000, 0x1FC5A8C0)

Newest Nvidia drivers install fine and work with my 7900 GS, but when I swap the 9800 GTX+ in, the computer BSOD's where you normally get the "welcome" screen on Win XP. It also crashes if I install drivers (windows recognizes the card) and then try to switch resolutions--basically crashes any time you change display settings. This makes me think it's a driver issue, but how could there be a driver issue if the 7900 GS runs fine? On top of that, I used driver sweeper to clear everything out. Still BSOD's on a fresh install of the newest Nvidia drivers.

WinXP Media Center 2005 (no install disks)
Core 2 E6600 @2.4GHz
2 GB stock RAM + 2 GB suggested from Crucial
7900 GS is the card I bought with the machine. Still works fine, but I was looking to upgrade.
Stock PSU (375 W rated if I'm not mistaken)

I couldn't find a solution to why this card won't work after 3 hours of browsing forums. Some say it might be a RAM issue or a PSU issue. Any help?

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I couldn't find a solution to why this card won't work after 3 hours of browsing forums. Some say it might be a RAM issue or a PSU issue. Any help?

3hrs, couldn't figure it out huh? Amazing what you can learn by reading the minimum system requirements isn't it?

Please direct yourself to this link and locate the post by the user "The-Real-Link" (and feel free to read the rest of it). Also, look up some information on Dell's stock PSU's. They're way beefier than the 375 W rating they're branded with (and the rails are 12v with 30A, which is above the requirements in that department). I've seen tons of posts similar to the one I just linked regarding people running this exact card on this exact rig.

Based off this thread and ones similar to it, there is nothing wrong with my current PSU. It has the correct amount of supplementary 6-pin psu connectors (only one extra required for this PNY model I purchased--the card was manufactured two ways AFAIK, and this model only requires one 6-pin).

I'm also fairly confident that a power supply issue would result in the error code I got has nothing to do with the power supply based off this article. I could be wrong though--definitely not an expert on this stuff.

And, hey zip, try not being a complete jerk would ya?

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
@Skolpo

Sure thing...I'll check it out when I have time later tonight.

@OvrClkr

The 7900 GS that this computer came with requires one supplemental 6-pin. Obviously, then, the PSU *does* have one, and yes, I did plug it in to the 9800 GTX+. You should try doing something constructive instead of harassing people, bud. Especially when you don't even have your facts straight.

First of all you gotta chill, nobody is harassing anyone here, if you was in a bad mood then that's your bad.

Anyways you pointed out that you had a GTX+, the GTX+ uses 2 6 pin connectors not one.. so you either got the GTX or someone slapped a GTX+ sticker on your card... I do have my facts strait, I had a GTX+ till I decided to trade up for the 260...

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

The printed back of the box mentions that the card is a gtx+, so does the sticker on front, and the card also reads gtx+. As far as how many 6-pin connectors are on the card, AFAIK they produced it both ways, and the more current versions only have one six-pin. Here's one of the many links I got from googling.

Additionally, here's a link with my power supply's stats on it, as well as a couple people saying the card should work fine.

I'm curious why no one's said anything about the error code yet....

Well, you can eliminate RAM/CPU by running memtest and Prime95 for a few hours. Also, when I switch cards, I often do a full reinstall (shouldn't be necessary, but I do). I don't suppose you have an extra HD laying around to try a fresh install, do you?

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

4148130807_8c4fbe03b1_o.jpg

4148890904_77d213b41b_o.jpg

4148131119_7f0396e5e8_o.jpg

4148891272_489de92f1f_o.jpg

The single six-pin is to the left of my thumb in the fourth picture. The rest of the pics are showing that it says gtx+ all over the place. Sorry for the fuzziness.

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

I'm trying to get memtest to work but at the moment I don't have any software that manages iso's. I'm trying to install nero's trial version at the moment to get memtest86 going, but it's taking forever and for some reason crashed halfway through the first time I tried to install it.

When you say 'full reinstall', what exactly are you referring to?

And I live in a college dorm atm and don't have any spare parts lying around nor spare rigs for that matter. ;) I used a utility called driversweep to annihilate all drivers and registry entries from nvidia and then did a fresh install of the newest nvidia drivers, restarting after every step. They installed fine and recognized the card, but as soon as you try to change the display settings (up the resolution or try to start up any games), my computer bsod's with the given error code above.

well I had an oldschool model :

not so good pic :

DSC00759.jpg

then you have the newer ones :

EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130376

then a few more :

SPARKLE SFPX98GTX+512D3 GeForce 9800 GTX+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187052&cm_re=9800GTX-_-14-187-052-_-Product

PNY VCG98GTXPXPB GeForce 9800 GTX+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133246&cm_re=9800GTX-_-14-133-246-_-Product

then you have the final spec's :

Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 141 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 450 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin x2

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800_gtx_plus_us.html

anyways all the GTX+'s that I have seen use 2 6 pin connectors, if I missed a model that didn't then i guess it's my bad, I was just making sure that the OP had the cable/cables attached....

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

Well, I said a few times that the answer is yes, I have one six-pin connector, and it was most definitely plugged in the 3 times I tried to get the card to work.

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

Does memtest 86+ check all 4 of my RAM sticks with a single 'pass'? If so, it passed with 0 errors.

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Minor update:

After running memtest, I realized I somehow put my RAM in the wrong order so it wasn't utilizing dual channel properly. On the off chance that this was causing the problem, I tried to put the 9800gtx+ in again. It popped out an 0xf4 error instead of an 0x7a this time.

Any ideas? I'm heading to bed, but I did find these so far:

Possibly related issue.

Another forum I found said it might be some issue with XP's system files being corrupt and a fresh install might fix it.

Another said the Virtual Memory partition on the hard drive might be messed up.

I've already run chkdsk multiple times, and I'm not understanding how there could be a HDD issue when I've had no problems with my HDD ever and my 7900 GS runs fine....

You need one of these :

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007&Tpk=EA500

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
YOUR NOT GETTING IT. YOUR PSU IS UNDERPOWERED. CHECK BRAIN.

Just swapped out the stock Dell PSU for a Corsair 750W (I put it on the charge card with full intent on returning it, just to see if the PSU actually is the problem). Swapping in this PSU does NOTHING to solve the problem. Still the same errors:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x7a (0xe243d740, 0xc0000056, 0xbf8df731, 0xab661860)

win32k.sys Address bf8df731 base at bf800000

Also get an 0xf4 error sometimes.

Both of which point to hard drive issues based off my understanding of the error messages. Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking a hard drive swap or a fresh install of xp are the next step, but neither of these are really options for me.

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

They give you a 'recovery CD' and that's it. And I'm pretty sure I don't even have that with me. First time in nearly 4 years I've even considered resinstalling XP.

NoPlaceLikeCub

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

Regardless of how I install the drivers for the card, once the card is recognized, the next time the display settings change, the computer will BSOD. So: if I try to change resolution after the driver install completes, it BSOD's trying to switch to the new resolution. Or, if I reboot without touching the display settings, it will BSOD where you normally get the "welcome" screen on winxp.

TRENDING THREADS