Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ to Phenom X4 9850 worth $100?

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2010 2:27:01 AM

RIG:

Athlon 64 X2 4200+
ASUS M2A-VM Revision 1705
3 gb Corsair DDR2 333
Radeon 4850 512 MB

I've been playing the beta for Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and I'm getting single-digit FPS (which is affecting all dual-core users, and will be optimized for the retail, according to Dice/EA). ASUS has said that the M2A-VM can support Socket AM2+ CPUs, and the best quad-core I can get for this mobo is the Phenom X4 9850 ($100 on Newegg), but I'm told that's on the level of Intel's C2D E7200.

I don't have the money to get a new rig right now (cpu + mobo + ram), and I'm probably going to wait on getting BC2 anyway. I'm wondering if it's feasible to upgrade to the Phenom X4 9850 and use my rig for a few more years, or if I should save like a mofo and get a new system ASAP?
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 12:59:14 PM

It depends. How long would it take you to save up for a new rig? Honestly, a 9850 is not a bad cpu, and it would serve you well for awhile. Most people on here cringe at the thought of a Phenom I, but the 9X50 versions were not that bad. You could probably extend the life of your system for 1-2 years off that cpu with a video card upgrade thrown in a some point.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 6, 2010 2:04:51 PM

Although this is true, if your motherboard supports it, the Athlon IIx4 620 will perform better and will definitely overclock better.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 2:31:17 PM

CooLWoLF said:
It depends. How long would it take you to save up for a new rig? Honestly, a 9850 is not a bad cpu, and it would serve you well for awhile. Most people on here cringe at the thought of a Phenom I, but the 9X50 versions were not that bad. You could probably extend the life of your system for 1-2 years off that cpu with a video card upgrade thrown in a some point.

F that all phenoms are a joke. P2 or Athlon x4 or no game.
m
l
February 6, 2010 3:39:33 PM

@CoolWolf: It would depend entirely on the rig. I've ALWAYS had budget AMD/ATI rigs because they're cheap (my current rig cost me $430 3 years ago), but from what I've seen of benchmarks lately, I should be going with Intel. So if I save for AMD/ATI (where I would probably go with a Phenom 2/Athlon II x4), it'd probably take me about half a year. I don't look for having the bestest rig running everything on high; I look for something that can let me run a game at 1440x900 on medium with 60 FPS.

If I went for an Intel rig, I'd probably have to save a bit longer since Intel usually costs a bit more.

@enzo: Nope, my mobo only supports up to Phenom 1.

@werxen: Is the Phenom 1 a bad choice simply because there's better stuff now, or because there's just something inherently wrong with the first generation?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 3:42:46 PM

atsao1 said:
@CoolWolf: It would depend entirely on the rig. I've ALWAYS had budget AMD/ATI rigs because they're cheap (my current rig cost me $430 3 years ago), but from what I've seen of benchmarks lately, I should be going with Intel. So if I save for AMD/ATI (where I would probably go with a Phenom 2/Athlon II x4), it'd probably take me about half a year. I don't look for having the bestest rig running everything on high; I look for something that can let me run a game at 1440x900 on medium with 60 FPS.

If I went for an Intel rig, I'd probably have to save a bit longer since Intel usually costs a bit more.

@enzo: Nope, my mobo only supports up to Phenom 1.

@werxen: Is the Phenom 1 a bad choice simply because there's better stuff now, or because there's just something inherently wrong with the first generation?

There is not anything really 'wrong' with them but here are some points to consider:

they do not overclock at all - by at all I mean you would be lucky to break 700mghz off stock
they produce a lot of heat and consume a lot of energy for the frequency you would be getting
clock for clock they are slow as hell compared to the new Intel or AMD line - you're looking at 30% performance increase per clock cycle
the money you spend on that vs. the money you could spend on a low end p2 does not make sense to sacrifice that much performance

now on the plus
it is a quad core
m
l
February 6, 2010 3:49:20 PM

werxen said:
There is not anything really 'wrong' with them but here are some points to consider:

they do not overclock at all - by at all I mean you would be lucky to break 700mghz off stock
they produce a lot of heat and consume a lot of energy for the frequency you would be getting
clock for clock they are slow as hell compared to the new Intel or AMD line - you're looking at 30% performance increase per clock cycle
the money you spend on that vs. the money you could spend on a low end p2 does not make sense to sacrifice that much performance

now on the plus
it is a quad core

Hrm, so basically, I'd be better off just saving up for a better rig then, and grabbing a lower-end P2 and then OCing it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 3:53:20 PM

atsao1 said:
Hrm, so basically, I'd be better off just saving up for a better rig then, and grabbing a lower-end P2 and then OCing it.

Personally I would save up a little bit more cash and buy either:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or if you are in need of a quad solution but are willing to sacrifice a little performance I would get this:

Check your ram and socket compatibilities first.
m
l
February 6, 2010 3:59:54 PM

werxen said:
Personally I would save up a little bit more cash and buy either:

or if you are in need of a quad solution but are willing to sacrifice a little performance I would get this:

Check your ram and socket compatibilities first.

If I'm getting a new rig, it's going to have to be brand new CPU + Mobo + RAM, so any socket/ram compatibilities wouldn't matter. I'd just buy compatible things. I'll start shopping around and hope in vain that 6-cores are released soon so Quads drop in price.

Most likely, I'd go with the Athlon II X4 630 and just overclock that. I like to make the most efficient purchases while spending as little as possible.

Ty for your help.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 6, 2010 8:52:26 PM

atsao1 said:
If I'm getting a new rig, it's going to have to be brand new CPU + Mobo + RAM, so any socket/ram compatibilities wouldn't matter. I'd just buy compatible things. I'll start shopping around and hope in vain that 6-cores are released soon so Quads drop in price.

Most likely, I'd go with the Athlon II X4 630 and just overclock that. I like to make the most efficient purchases while spending as little as possible.

Ty for your help.

If you are going to overclock, you might aswell just get a 620.
From what I have read here:
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/604845-official-amd-a...
People haven't been more successful in overclocking the 630 vs the 620. I have my 620 at 3.25GHz stock voltage and HSF.

But do weigh your options. If you get the older phenom at 2.5GHz and overclock it, you would probably be able to get stock 620 or 630 performance. BUT, in order to upgrade again you would need a new motherboard.

If you decide to got athlon II or phenom II, you will also need to decide on an AM3 motherboard with new ram or and AM2+ motherboard with your old ram.

Edit just noticed the x4 630 is only being sold for $2 more. totally worth it.
m
l
!