Motherboard Mystery?

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
For the past year i've been trying to figure out whats wrong with my old computer. Hp and Geeksquad pointed to possibly the mobo failing, but couldnt give me a definated answer. Its a hp pavilion a1610n with with an anthlon 64 4200, 1 gig of ram, 250 harddrive, windows xp(upgraded to windows 7), onboard graphics 6150.(have no idea on the mobo)

It worked perfectly fine for about 2-3 years but then one day i suddenly noticed that it would go to sleep and not wake up unless i did a hard boot, so i just turned off the sleep mode, and it worked fine. Then after a month it would turn on but only the fans would spin and the lights would light up, heatsink fan would go crazy. I was luckily still under warranty and got it sent to geeksquad where they replaced the mobo. Got it back and it worked perfectly fine for about a month. Then a week after the warranty was over same problem appears again.

Heres the wierd part. If i leave it off for a couple days, then turn it back on everything works, full boot. I've run speedfan and all my temps are normal. When it turns on and boots everything works perfectly fine, but upon restarting it, no boot, no post, nothing, monitor just says no signal. I've also switched the PSU, RAM, and Rebuilt the entire system. Yesterday i hooked it up for the first time in a month and it worked as if it was brand new, but i restarted it and then got nothing other then fan and lights. Then i turned it off and on couple more times managed to get 3 out 8 succesful boots. Im completely mystified and need all the expertise possible thats why i come to you guys. I've checked the mobo for signs of damage but everything seems good just that the capacitors are extremely flexible. Could this really be a faulty Mobo is my main question????

Im tempted to just go to microcenter and get the biostar mobo, phenom ii x2 combo for a $100, but im concerned the issue might be somewhere else in the system. Any Help would be greattly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!!

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Well, I think you're right. My old Dell Dimension E510 had a total motherboard failure about a year or two ago, and it certainly didn't go quietly. It would only boot about once every three times after you unplugged and reset everything a couple times. Eventually it just completely stopped detecting any hardware whatsoever, and then ended up with a flashing amber power light (equivalent to the 'Red Ring of Death' on an XBox) which just sat there and blinked as soon as it was plugged in. Everything was just dead and nothing you could possibly press would do anything.

In your case (haha), I don't really see it as being a HDD problem if it did boot, and I don't see it being a graphics or power supply problem, either. It may be the RAM, though. I know you've said you rebuilt it and everything, but what does it do when you try to power it on with no RAM installed at all?

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Have to do the excact samething as you did to make it boot. Absolutely nothing lol, everything is the same no beeps, nothing at all. Im just in awe, two mobos going bad the same way.

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Swapped the psu from my core 2 duo rig but did no good.