Replaced everything into HAF 932, now computer won't start

BakedPotato

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I transferred all my things and plugged them up from one computer case into another one, a Coolermaster HAF 932.

The computer is not turning on now. I think it might be a problem with the front panel wiring being mis-setup, but I don't know at all. I don't know what it is. Only one front panel wiring setup gets the lights on the case to turn on, but nothing else will turn on.

The Motherboard is a Pegatron M2N78-LA. I am using a Corsair HX620W power supply unit, a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT video card, and two hard drives connected with one DVD drive and an AMD Athlon II x4.

The way the front panel wiring is currently set:

x []
[] [] < - HDD LED
[] [] < - +P and -P LED
[] [] < - Power Switch
[] [] < - Reset Switch

This configuration gives me a little blue light on the front of the case next to the lightning bolt symbol. Another configuration gives me a little blue light on the front of the case next to a cylinder symbol. Neither one turns on the computer at all.

BakedPotato

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Would this misconfiguration be enough to cause the computer to simply not turn on? I know the motherboard has not burned out or shorted out from my actions, as I have re-placed it into my old case until I am absolutely certain on what is wrong here.

Yes, if you don't have the power-on wire connected to the right pins, or if the power switch/wire is dead, it simply will not turn on.

Are you saying you have the connectors fastened horizontally ACROSS the pins -- e.g., one connector to every two-pin horizontal "row?" Because most motherboards I've seen are oriented in the opposite way, in columns -- the power and reset on one column (the one with 4 pins) and the LEDs on the other side (the column with 5 pins), because while both power and reset are always 2 pins, sometimes the P-LED connector is 3 pins. Basically, going by your previous diagram, it would look like this:

XA
PA
PA
RB
RB

where P = power, R = reset, A = power LED and B = HDD LED.

So I would DEFINITELY check the manual and make sure you've got it oriented in the right direction. I can't find the one for your board, but if this is the correct picture of it, I am certainly suspicious from your description that you have the front panel connectors wired the wrong way.

The power switch has to be connected properly (or the pins can be shorted out with a metallic object) to power up.

BakedPotato

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Thanks, that was exactly it. I copied down the diagram on that site, configured, and now the case works.

Only problem now is a worry that the thing might be too heavy for my desk... it's on the edge, and the desk is glass, but it has a support leg right under the system.