Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replaced everything into HAF 932, now computer won't start

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2009 11:35:18 PM

I transferred all my things and plugged them up from one computer case into another one, a Coolermaster HAF 932.

The computer is not turning on now. I think it might be a problem with the front panel wiring being mis-setup, but I don't know at all. I don't know what it is. Only one front panel wiring setup gets the lights on the case to turn on, but nothing else will turn on.

The Motherboard is a Pegatron M2N78-LA. I am using a Corsair HX620W power supply unit, a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT video card, and two hard drives connected with one DVD drive and an AMD Athlon II x4.

The way the front panel wiring is currently set:

x []
[] [] < - HDD LED
[] [] < - +P and -P LED
[] [] < - Power Switch
[] [] < - Reset Switch

This configuration gives me a little blue light on the front of the case next to the lightning bolt symbol. Another configuration gives me a little blue light on the front of the case next to a cylinder symbol. Neither one turns on the computer at all.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2009 1:57:12 AM

They should be connected as per the motherboard's manual or the Intel Front Panel Connectivity Guide in the middle of this page: http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/MBoard_Panel.htm
November 25, 2009 2:44:29 AM

Would this misconfiguration be enough to cause the computer to simply not turn on? I know the motherboard has not burned out or shorted out from my actions, as I have re-placed it into my old case until I am absolutely certain on what is wrong here.
Related resources
November 25, 2009 3:58:02 AM

maybe try the other case if it works

if it does then its probably that your connectors went in wrong
if it doesn't then you mobos burnt
November 25, 2009 5:25:57 AM

same thing happen to me, bad news for me since i had to reformat, hope its not the same with you.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2009 7:17:13 AM

BakedPotato said:
Would this misconfiguration be enough to cause the computer to simply not turn on? I know the motherboard has not burned out or shorted out from my actions, as I have re-placed it into my old case until I am absolutely certain on what is wrong here.

Yes, if you don't have the power-on wire connected to the right pins, or if the power switch/wire is dead, it simply will not turn on.

Are you saying you have the connectors fastened horizontally ACROSS the pins -- e.g., one connector to every two-pin horizontal "row?" Because most motherboards I've seen are oriented in the opposite way, in columns -- the power and reset on one column (the one with 4 pins) and the LEDs on the other side (the column with 5 pins), because while both power and reset are always 2 pins, sometimes the P-LED connector is 3 pins. Basically, going by your previous diagram, it would look like this:

XA
PA
PA
RB
RB

where P = power, R = reset, A = power LED and B = HDD LED.

So I would DEFINITELY check the manual and make sure you've got it oriented in the right direction. I can't find the one for your board, but if this is the correct picture of it, I am certainly suspicious from your description that you have the front panel connectors wired the wrong way.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2009 10:45:12 AM

BakedPotato said:
The power switch has to be connected properly (or the pins can be shorted out with a metallic object) to power up.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2009 12:29:36 PM

Capt_taco is right on the money. You don't have the pins connected correctly. Double check your motherboard owners manual, but I believe capt_taco has it right for the majority of motherboards out there.
November 25, 2009 1:22:30 PM

please tell me you consulted the mobo manual.

if not, can i get you a rusk and some warm breast milk
November 25, 2009 7:50:47 PM

GhislainG said:
They should be connected as per the motherboard's manual or the Intel Front Panel Connectivity Guide in the middle of this page: http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/MBoard_Panel.htm

Thanks, that was exactly it. I copied down the diagram on that site, configured, and now the case works.

Only problem now is a worry that the thing might be too heavy for my desk... it's on the edge, and the desk is glass, but it has a support leg right under the system.
!