Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting sound restored on Pavilion a1230n with Amberine Board

Last response: in Motherboards
May 31, 2010 8:37:57 PM

My HP Pavilion a1230n has lost most of its sound. PC Doctor can still make the internal speaker beep, but that's it. I think I have a cable that is not hooked up, or connected in the wrong place. I had to take the computer apart to solve an overheating problem. It is very likely that I did not get something connected, or not solidly connected.

No sound out of the sound out on the back, or on the headphone out on the front. I've tried speakers and headphones in both locations.

The audio driver has been removed and reinstalled.

There is no separate card for audio.

The computer is 100% virus free (I am very careful about that).

I am not sure the sound out ever worked. The computer was received used and I spent the first several weeks just tracking down the overheating problem. That was fixed with new 1 Gb sticks of PNY RAM and a Thermaltake RAM fan.

If it is needed, I can take it apart again. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Neal Lewis

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
May 31, 2010 9:30:36 PM

You should have 2 jumpers installed on the audio header. If those are missing, you won't get any sound from the front or rear ports of your case. On many boards, you have to choose which ports you want to use, the front or back. Those jumpers sometimes get removed when installing the front sound connection on cases with front ports. Replacing them should get you sound from the rear.
June 1, 2010 3:10:51 AM

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply. I am not sure that I did anything except to pull the connectors up and re-seat them. While I was typing this reply the HP started making sound. Problem solved! Thanks so much. I have learned quite a bit. I found the schematic and identified the locations you were talking about. The cables take the signal to the front as well.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Neal Lewis
June 1, 2010 3:11:34 AM

Best answer selected by wnlewis.
!