MA785GM-US2H, boot up screens not shown in LCD TV and setup unnaccesible

pepe_m_m

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Hi all, just a couple of weeks ago I updated my HTPC with an AMD Phenom II X2 545 microprocessor and a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H motherboard.
I use Ubuntu 10.04, so I just switched it on and wait Ubuntu to recognize all the new components.
Then I didn't realized that something could be wrong, but the boot up sequence of screens was shown in my TV like as the cable were badly plugged.
But after this first start, I got nothing on TV till the OS was completely loaded, and had to use an old monitor to see the boot up.
I've been reading forums, fighting against the machine... unsuccessfully.
Last event was that, even the setup is unaccessible. I tried with a PS2 keyboard, but I cannot enter setup menu pressing <del>. I think that this could confirm that something is wrong with this motherboard.
I found few posts about problems with this model.
I've sent a message to the seller telling all the problems I found, but I would like to have your oppinion. All this, doesn't it seem that something isn't going fine?
Except for that (I cannot see the boot up in the LCD TV and access setup), everything seems to be OK. But I wouldn't like to have a more serius problem in a couple of months.

Thanks in advance.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Although i don't have a suggestion for your display problem, i do for the "can't access setup menu"

This happen's to me sometimes, i just wiggle the mouse continuously while i press the buttons, for some reason the keyboard won't respond unless i wiggle the mouse when pressing the keys.

bilbat

Splendid
Less expensive, and/or smaller LCD TV's are often not very 'smart' - they will often not display worth a damn at anything but exactly their 'native' resolution; while nearly anything in the way of a monitor will pick up and run with the default VGA (640x480) that nearly all BIOS kick out... May remain necessary to do BIOS adjustments with a monitor, and only be able to 'see properly' on the TV once the driver loads & can adjust the res to the TV :??:

pepe_m_m

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

Sony Bravia seems to be smart enough. Previously I mounted an old Gigabyte motherboard with no problem.

bilbat

Splendid
Hell, a Bravia probably has more computing power than the whole first moon mission, capsule and LEM combined! [:bilbat:5]

Have you tried fiddling with the "Onboard VGA output connect" setting on the "Advanced BIOS Features" page? Assuming an HDMI connection, might want to try the "D-SUB/HDMI" selection - 'auto' should work, but who knows?

pepe_m_m

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Hi again, problem with setup menu solved. It was a bit stupid. In keyboard there are two <DEL> keys, one is sometimes tittled as <BACKSPACE> in some keyboards, or just with an arrow to left. The other is tittled as <SUPR> in my (spanish) keyboard. So, for me, <DEL> was just <BACKSPACE>. I just needed to press the correct key.
On the other hand, I contacted with SONY and it seems that there is some kind of incompatibility between my graphics card and TV.
I'm thinking about installing my old graphics card via VGA cable and the inner one via HDMI. Usually I would use the last, and just in case of needing setup mofidifications, I would use the former.
I would like to thanks your interest, and also to close this thread.