Core 2 Solo to Core 2 Quad Upgrade

jjeong85

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hey, I have an Asus UX50V, beautiful looking computer but with a terrible processor, and battery, but I'm more focused on the processor, I got it at a fair price @ 350 slightly used. It has an Intel Core 2 Solo 1.4GHz, SU3500 (M Socket). I'm considering the core 2 quads, but I'm worried about the compatibility with the motherboard and heating. I usually don't care about batteries since I always keep a few extra 24/7. I'm not a gamer, so I don't think any off Intel's new i series would be necessary, and I don't want to go through swapping the mobo. What's everyone's opinion? (whoever is out there haha).

D

Deleted member 217926

For the most part laptops are not designed to be upgradeable in the same way desktops are. Maybe adding some memory or a larger hard drive and in some higher end gaming laptops upgrading the video cards but you are pretty much out of luck with the slow processor/motherboard. This computer was only $499 brand new so you really get what you pay for. Sorry.

A good review. http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-ux50v-rx05/4505-3121_7-33695861.html?tag=rnav

compuguy

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2005
I like how all of you got snarky and never actually answered OP's question. I've upgraded from a crappy low end CD before to a better C2D (yes laptop cpus) and it actually dropped voltage use and heat since I picked a slightly higher end, better designed cpu.

A friend is looking at purchasing a laptop and I'm interested to know if this is possible. Are C2S standard socket cpus or are they soldered to the motherboard?