Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Raid 0, can I increase volume size? didnt do it right first time

Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2011 10:10:56 PM

Hello there

I have a RAID 0 (Preformance Stripped mode)

I have two 330 gig Hard Drives (seperate sata drives )

When it asked me the volume size , I thought that it had to be 330gig. I know that it has to be 330 gig in mirrored. I just couldn't understand how making the total volume bigger than 330gig would increase the preformance. It said I could have it at 660 gig (meaning not to lose any total space).

My question is. I have already installed Windows 7 and had it set like this for quite sometime, is there a way to just double the size now? Or would this render the computer unbootable or is there a utility that preserves the op and incrases the size.

So bios tells me it could have been 660, but im living with 330 gig right now. If i b reak the raid, any problems ?

THanks
a c 119 G Storage
October 22, 2011 10:52:56 PM

Go to the start button and in the run bar type in Disk Management and when the widow opens right click on the drive that is your C drive and select extend volume , this will extend the partition of your C drive to the full amount.
a c 119 G Storage
October 22, 2011 10:53:54 PM

blackacidevil said:
Hello there

I have a RAID 0 (Preformance Stripped mode)

I have two 330 gig Hard Drives (seperate sata drives )

When it asked me the volume size , I thought that it had to be 330gig. I know that it has to be 330 gig in mirrored. I just couldn't understand how making the total volume bigger than 330gig would increase the preformance. It said I could have it at 660 gig (meaning not to lose any total space).

My question is. I have already installed Windows 7 and had it set like this for quite sometime, is there a way to just double the size now? Or would this render the computer unbootable or is there a utility that preserves the op and incrases the size.

So bios tells me it could have been 660, but im living with 330 gig right now. If i b reak the raid, any problems ?

THanks

If you break the raid you will have to reload your OS.
Related resources

Best solution

October 23, 2011 12:41:16 AM

Raid 0 Means each drive works together to "Pull/push the data." they will usually beat a single drive.

Raid 1 Mode is the one you are thinking of. That one costs you half of whatever total capacity you have on all your raid drives you are setting up.

I am running 4 drives in raid zero, and they are like one huge drive. If I add any more drives I simply shut down, hook up the new drive, reboot and configure it in the Raid Bios.

I never use computer management inside windows to make raids or spanned volumes.

The other poster is correct, if anything interrupts the power or you lose something you will very likely have to rebuild everything. Keep a decent back up somewhere on a Spinner and a disk image too.

Other Raid modes do allow for you to pull out a failed hard drive or SSD (Identified by a LED in the back of the drive itself) and replace it while the machine is running.
November 18, 2011 4:33:53 AM

Best answer selected by blackacidevil.
!