I can get a XFX 5770 for 158 and I can probably ebay both of my Sapphire 4830's for about 60-70 which seems to be the going rate on ebay. Is it worth the upgrade? I overclocked both my 4830's to about the same speed as a 4850. I will be switching over to my 24" 1920x1200 currently on a 20" monitor going at 1680x1050. I'm not even really sure if this will be faster but I want to be able to sell off my 4830's while they still have some value. The net cost of getting a 5770 should be around 30 dollars when it's all said and done. Another option would be for me to get a third 4830 but I don't feel like tinkering with crossfire x3.
Sure they are good for the future. Waiting until DX11 is actually necessary and an HD5850 is a more reasonable price rather than buying an HD5770 now when his current setup is more powerful sounds like the best idea though.
I would get the 5770 for the DX 11 and eyefinity. And at only ~$170 its a reasonable price.
The 5850 is one of the best cards out there atm so if you don't mind dropping $270 you can get a serious card. Although once you get past a certain FPS the actual game play experience doesn't change much. Using a 5770 should get you 30+fps on basically any game so getting a 5850 might just give bragging rights without a noticeable performance increase.
Also the 5000 series uses less power and generates less heat than the 4000 series.
In a straight performance/price decision the way to go is stay put as for a cost of zero dollars this person has performance that will only reasonably be beaten by an HD58XX card for over $300...
Selling the HD4830s and putting the money towards upgrading to an HD5850/70 I can see but it would be better put off until DX11 actually matters and those cards will very likely be cheaper as well. Downgrading to an HD5770 right now while upgrading to a higher resolution monitor? Makes no sense imo.
Thanks for the replies. I know I'll take a performance hit but I'm thinking the value of my 4830's will drop faster than 5770's because of DX11. Which means the net cost will increase. Is DX11 worth taking the hit in performance? Because I can get a 5770 for 158 but I'm not sure if the price will stay stagnant like this for a while. If so, I'd rather just buy it now because I can still get decent value on my 4830's on ebay. Then I can always xfire another 5770 when I so choose.
You would be paying extra to suffer a large hit in performance for a feature that is totally useless right now precisely when you could use the extra performance because you are shifting to a higher resolution. You can do what you want but that would be a rather large mistake imo. I know the HD5770 is shiny and new but when you upgrade your system it should actually be, you know, an upgrade.
As for the relative depreciation of the cards new tech is always sold at a premium and will come down while older stuff tends to have a more stable price.
I have no idea what is going to happen in Q1 of 2010 when Nvidia is suppose to release its DX11 cards and DX11 games start to appear. No doubt your 4830s will be worth considerably less. If you get the 5770 now at a net price of only $30 I say go for it. Then down the road you can get a 2nd 5770 and have a serious machine for about $200 bucks.