mark19quin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
My computer Hangs on Start up can't reformat it freezes before finishing the loading of drivers and etc.. It freezes also during start up and also in the welcome screen... I can't go to safe mode either it hangs also there before it goes to it's screen.. I already tried the overheating theory and buy myself a new heat sink and a fan but to no avail.. My guess is it wasn't the processor that was overheating it is the on board video when I touched it. Do you guys have a solution for this? That might worked or that really work.. I install a new 333mhz ram 2 of it 512mb.. But then I found out immediately that it wasn't compatible because my AMD Athlon processor have only a bus frequency limit of 266 so I change it back before 24 hrs.. since that this freeze thing keeps on happening. SO do I need to overclock this or something? Even thou I change it back the way they are.. I need a quick solution for this freeze or hang thing it's annoying..

Solution
Go in DOS, with win98 boot disk. And type Fdisk, then delete all partitions on you hard disk (carefully, this will delete every files) When you delete all partitions, go and format Hard Disk in MS-DOS... Then type Format C: and press enter, when ask you for confirmation click Y and enter, wait to finish. When is done, reboot and go in BIOS. Make Optical Drive for first boot device, put windows CD and start fresh copy of Win...

If this don't help, go and scan you Hard Disk for Bad sectors... All, full scan...

mark19quin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Ok I will try it the Clear CMOS thing.. But my computer just died, I mean it won't start anymore no power... And the Power Supply have a burn plastic smell and also the chip near the ram smells like it.. Don't know what happen... It just died about 12hrs ago lol... Ok here are the specs.. This one is old...

CPU- CompaQ Presario S3100NX
S/N: MX312A2226
MOBO- D33007
*Not sure it just say this..
PROC- AMD Athlon AXDA2200DKV3C
PSU - BESTEC Model: ATX-250-12Z REV. : D
MEM - 266 mhz 512mb, 256 mb, DDR
HDD - 80 gig, IDE
* Don't know the Brand Name
OS - WIN XP, SP3

That's just it guys please help me and tell me if this is the time I might consider buying a new one..

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I'm so sorry about you PC, PSU is died for sure, but you PC maybe still work... Try with another PSU, with good one (every new model of Power Supply have protection)

About this system, men this thing is realy old, too old :) Look for new one....

mark19quin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hey it's alive again and working but everytime I try to reformat it it gives me this error..

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

I'm trying PC DOCTOR right now to check all the hardware on it HP give it to me and try to resolve the issue.. Faulty power supply did the dead thing to me.. Maybe you can help with this error?

mark19quin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Hey it's alive again and working but everytime I try to reformat it it gives me this error..

I'm trying PC DOCTOR right now to check all the hardware on it HP give it to me and try to resolve the issue.. Faulty power supply did the dead thing to me.. Maybe you can help with this error?

mark19quin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Go in DOS, with win98 boot disk. And type Fdisk, then delete all partitions on you hard disk (carefully, this will delete every files) When you delete all partitions, go and format Hard Disk in MS-DOS... Then type Format C: and press enter, when ask you for confirmation click Y and enter, wait to finish. When is done, reboot and go in BIOS. Make Optical Drive for first boot device, put windows CD and start fresh copy of Win...

If this don't help, go and scan you Hard Disk for Bad sectors... All, full scan...

Solution

mark19quin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Ok sorry If I reply late... Being busy at work.. working straight for 24 hours every other day.. I'll try what you suggested but I'm going to find a boot disk first.. At torrent..lol